Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

05 VZ V6 Will not start after layup

brett01

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sedan
Hi everyone .. V6 VZ commodore has been in storage for about 3 months and when went to start it, it would not start.
Firstly about 3 months ago the car was started and run for about 20 minutes, turned off and the battery disconnected.
Went to start it yesterday after connecting battery and dashboard lit up with all the usual lights but would not start. So took battery out and recharged ... put it back in and nothing, low fuel warning and service warning s come on ..
Wriggled gear stick in park and nothing, cleaned the little bump on the key with sand paper and around the ring that it fits into, nothing.
When the ignition is turned on, even the fuel pump will not go, when the low fuel light came on we put 10 litres of fuel in but lights still comes on.
Had local mechanic come round and test all fuses, hook up a computer but no problems came up on the screen..
can anyone help ..
Brett

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Can you be more specific with exactly what is or is not occurring when the ignition key is turned.

Does the starter motor turn the engine?

When/if the engine is turning, is it turning quickly (as if about to start) or chugging away slowly?

If the starter motor is not turning the engine the problem is obviously related to the battery and likely insufficient voltage getting through. Try hooking an extra battery onto the original (as per jump start).

If the motor is turning and not starting then it is likely to be either fuel or electrical.

If the car had been standing, perhaps water found it's way into the tank. I suggest draining the tank as best you can and putting a fresh 10 - 20 litres in.

If electrical I would have thought you would/should have identified error codes when the Tech Tool was plugged into the OBD2

If you or a family member belong to an Auto Club (RACV, NRMA, RACQ, RAA etc) call them out and see if they can provide realistic diagnosis otherwise have vehicle towed/transported to a 'reputable mechanic/workshop'.

brett01

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sedan
Thanks for your input guys. I ended up calling the RAA and he hit the starter with a hammer and screwdriver while the ignition was on and the car started but when turned off would not start again, so he seemed to think that it was the starter motor. So I replaced the starter motor and it still wouldn't start with the key (although dash lights up) but when I short the solenoid out with a screwdriver while the ignition is on it turns over and the motor started. But once again when turned off would not start again with the key. Could it be a problem with the ignition switch?

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
Could be the pim bcm ecm need tech2 hooked up perhaps

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
From my understanding these don't start like the older models where the ignition switch sent 12v to the starter solenoid, but instead the BCM? sends the 12v when it senses that the key has been turned to start. You can't keep the key on and over run the starter like on old models, because the BCM? gets the message that the engine has started and removes the 12v from the solenoid. But after all that, just replace the starter and I would be surprised if it didn't fix it, not with a crappy second hand one that has probably already done more starts than your current one, but with a new one from ebay.

The other thing to look at would be your key reader, is the security padlock turning off when the key is turned on?

brett01

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sedan
Thanks for the input .. we replaced the starter with a new one from Sprint Auto and still will not start .. we can put the key in the ON position, short the solenoid to main starter terminal with large screwdriver, and the motor fires up straight away.
It then starts with the key immediately after, and it will do this for a while.. BUT when we leave it for about an hour, it will not start again with the key ?..

Under the fuse cover their is a relay that clicks when the key is turned to the start position but the motor does not turn or fire up,.. just silence.

We just connected a light to the small terminal on the solenoid and tried to start the car, and it did not light up so it looks like no current is getting to the starter from the swithch.

The flashing security light goes out when the key is in the on position and when the motor is running..

Dozer1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commadore
How did you go with fixing the issue if so what was it because I'm having the exact issue with mine

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
low fuel warning

How did you go with fixing the issue if so what was it because I'm having the exact issue with mine

sounds like the ecu to me they dont like being without power for a long time, start it by removing the starter relay under the bonnet and shorting terminals 30 and 86 i think