Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1/4 mile time calculation

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
anywhere from 12.5-12.9 Id say don`t get overhyped you may get deflated, where does it make max torque with no converter this is important.

Nah not expecting massive gains over when it was stock ( feels a hell of a lot quicker). heres the dyno but shows only tactile effort not torque. Red curves after cam install. Green was mafless and exhaust only before. All pre diff gears change. Cheers
vxssbeforeandaftercam.jpg

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Oh well, you can work out the torque figure using math but you will never know the peak, I`d say it would be lower in the RPM been a small stick, prolly around 2.5- 3k.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

Depends what you are chasing, the maths stats are a guide or the best expected outcome for a given set of info / input

Sure on the day, runs can vary easily by 2 seconds depending on air temp / heat , tyre pressure, stickyness of the track, engine temperature and most importantly driver reaction time.

A mate of mine has 2 'weekender racers' one does best of 11.2 and the other more of a streeter of 13.0
but the wrong person in the 11.2 car can get it down to 14's

Torque Vs HP , thats a always argue event, but day to day street it torque, there is no real need to rev a engine to high RPM to achieve output, all you do is strain and wear components

Say you take a typical engine does not matter which one 5.0 holden or or 5.7 chev
Now i am not comparing holdev Vs chev , but the same style of engine eg 304 highHP revver Vs 304 torque ( or Gen3 Hi RPM revver Vs Gen 3 torque )

At the drag strip its almost irrelevant, at 1/4 mile or 400 meters, unless you run something like 2.60 gears yuor car will achieve maz RPM and exit speed by 300 meters, very few cars are slow reving or geared to keep acceleration at the 400 meter point, actually some cars you can even back of before the line or switch of the engine the speed you have reached will keep pushing you

Its like doing 80kph and taking your foot of the accelerator the car will still go 80-80-80-79-79-79-78 etc it wont back off fast like say when you are in first gear and take your foot of the accelerator and the car revs down and slows down , this is the combination of say your first gear ration * your final drive , for example 1st = 3.5 * diff of even a 3.08 = 10.78 , this is why the revs drop of much faster

Back to torque vs HP , 2 identical motors, one is say 400HP at 7000 the other is 400HP at 5000 , which one will last the longest , the one that lives at lower revs, in a perfect world it has less revs so less wear and tear , plus the engine has less chance of becoming a grenade at lower revs.

The dyno and dyno 2000 are great programs, i loved spending time on them going through cam catalogs and running simulations, beats buying say 4 or 5 cams and outing them together to see what happens.

regards
george

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
12.8 @ 110mph would be my guess

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
reminds me of the Canada on strike episode of South Park.

The boys make butters do a you tube video to make money, they go to the government for their internet money to find it is theoretical money and not worth anything!

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
mmm might have to try and find a long private road and do some runs with Torque or Dash Command OBD 2 software i have on my Android and test her out (Im pretty sure one of those have
the ability to do record and graph timed runs). Cheers fellas.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I know but cant get there on dates they run em unless i take a sicky...damn...
Annual leave.
Using some app on the street is pointless to compare with an actual quarter mile time. Might as well pull a number out of a hat.