Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

100 Octane - Extreme

J2112

R8-HSV-06
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV R8 M6
My local Shell servo offers 100 Octane (AKA "Extreme"). Contains 5% ethanol.

I filled up 60L of Extreme this morning, drove about 50km's and noticed that the fuel efficiency changed to 16L/100km (normaly 18-19L/100km).

With regards to cost, Extreme was about 3 cents higher than Optimax.

I dont know much about ethanol.

Is this petrol worth using? What issues should I consider?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
There isnt a great deal of info avaliable on this fuel. Basically you would be looking at premeture fuel line wear, along with excess oxidation of things like fuel injectors, etc.
It is basically optimax with 5% ethonol, the ethonol adding the extra 2 RON points.
I have seen some dyno figuers using another companies ethonol with good results.
AirStrike :air:

J2112

R8-HSV-06
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV R8 M6
Never using it again!!!

Finished the 60L and ended up running at 22L/100km.

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
J2112 said:
Never using it again!!!

Finished the 60L and ended up running at 22L/100km.

Yeah i've heard that it can increase your fuel usage :confused: but it seems the V8 supercars will be using it this season LINKY

J2112

R8-HSV-06
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV R8 M6
Interesting article..I reckon they're just keeping sponsors happy.

Im not using it again..

I prefer mobile premium..runs good and get me more km's per litre.

BottFodder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega II
Hi All,

I'm gunna get on my soapbox here...

<Begin Rant>

What does "premature fuel line wear" mean? And how does a 5% Eth raise fuel consumption from 18 to 22 (or about 20%). Do V8's really get only 18L/100 (and running on Optimax I assume) fuel consumption (its no wonder the V8 resale value is crap - my V6 is running close to 10 on 92RON )- surely you have to be standing on it a lot to get that - and once you are then any measure of fuel consumption figures is pointless.

Seems like there is a lot of misinformation about alcohol (ethanol) blended fuels.

Holden have publicly stated that 10% ethanol is OK (this stuff is only 5%) - and the rest is Optimax (95% 98RON - not garden variety 92RON) - acknowledged as an excellent fuel.

For some really deep information go to DEH 20% Ethanol Testing.

This is really interesting - especially as it tests reasonably late model Australian cars - A VX S2 V6 (I think a large number of forum members have Ecotec V6!) and the numbers aren't to bad. Remember that these dude are looking at 20% Ethanol - Which is NOT available retail in Oz. (I think I once got a load of 50% benzine from a shonk on Canterbury Road - but thats a different story!). I note that the AUIII F*O*R*D tested seem to fare worse than the VX in the tests.

The study is very deep - it measures stuff like fuel system wear, driveability, starting etc - but even on 20% Eth there are some real advantages - especially in emissions (-50% CO -Carbon Monoxide).

Overall fuel consumption seem to be higher (+4%) but I would hope that Government would tax Ethanol in a different regime - (Yep - Daryl Kerrigan reckons I'm dreaming too!) so the net cost to us would be the same.

Have a read - well worth it - and then you can quote stuff from research - not random heresay from the local experts down the pub.

Brazil has been running high ethanol fuels for years - the cars are built for it. As soon as we get off our 100% oil dependency the better for us and our kids. We will still have fun cars to hoon around in - its just that the days of oil/petrol power are numbered - why do you think the price is jumping so high. As soon as something gets rare then the price MUST go up. A bit like 48-215 Holdens and genuine GTHOs!

<\End Rant>

I feel much better now.

Cheers

Bottfodder

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
my old man had a lot of problems running optimax in his triumph trophy, switched to mobile 8000, problems gone. i wouldn't be as worried about ethanol as people would have you believe, it is corrosive to many engine parts but not in such small concentrations. stick with anything but optimax and you'll be okay. besides, ethanol is made from renewable sources (like cane sugar) so give a queenslander a job and use it!

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Ive ran 3 tanks in my LS1, and OMG... it made my car run like a Bucket of **** !!!! it was idleing like a lead had came off. itwent from 13.1 ro 15.9 on Both tanks. had it on the Dyno , made 2rwkw more and found No knock or Ping.

Wont be using it Ever again. :ranting:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
OLS108 said:
Ive ran 3 tanks in my LS1, and OMG... it made my car run like a Bucket of **** !!!! it was idleing like a lead had came off. itwent from 13.1 ro 15.9 on Both tanks. had it on the Dyno , made 2rwkw more and found No knock or Ping.

Wont be using it Ever again. :ranting:
Good to see some ppl putting the R&D into it. So basically the only way it would be of any sort of benifite would be if it was offered with a fairly substantial rebate on it.
AirStrike :air:

235rwkw

Reaction score
BottFodder said:
Hi All,

I'm gunna get on my soapbox here...

<Begin Rant>

What does "premature fuel line wear" mean? And how does a 5% Eth raise fuel consumption from 18 to 22 (or about 20%). Do V8's really get only 18L/100 (and running on Optimax I assume) fuel consumption (its no wonder the V8 resale value is crap - my V6 is running close to 10 on 92RON )- surely you have to be standing on it a lot to get that - and once you are then any measure of fuel consumption figures is pointless.

Seems like there is a lot of misinformation about alcohol (ethanol) blended fuels.

Holden have publicly stated that 10% ethanol is OK (this stuff is only 5%) - and the rest is Optimax (95% 98RON - not garden variety 92RON) - acknowledged as an excellent fuel.

For some really deep information go to DEH 20% Ethanol Testing.

This is really interesting - especially as it tests reasonably late model Australian cars - A VX S2 V6 (I think a large number of forum members have Ecotec V6!) and the numbers aren't to bad. Remember that these dude are looking at 20% Ethanol - Which is NOT available retail in Oz. (I think I once got a load of 50% benzine from a shonk on Canterbury Road - but thats a different story!). I note that the AUIII F*O*R*D tested seem to fare worse than the VX in the tests.

The study is very deep - it measures stuff like fuel system wear, driveability, starting etc - but even on 20% Eth there are some real advantages - especially in emissions (-50% CO -Carbon Monoxide).

Overall fuel consumption seem to be higher (+4%) but I would hope that Government would tax Ethanol in a different regime - (Yep - Daryl Kerrigan reckons I'm dreaming too!) so the net cost to us would be the same.

Have a read - well worth it - and then you can quote stuff from research - not random heresay from the local experts down the pub.

Brazil has been running high ethanol fuels for years - the cars are built for it. As soon as we get off our 100% oil dependency the better for us and our kids. We will still have fun cars to hoon around in - its just that the days of oil/petrol power are numbered - why do you think the price is jumping so high. As soon as something gets rare then the price MUST go up. A bit like 48-215 Holdens and genuine GTHOs!

<\End Rant>

I feel much better now.

Cheers

Bottfodder

even this testing from what i quicky read was NOT done from a petrol station the fuel was in drums or direct from the supplier.

Damage occurs from petrol stations suppling it to you.

This is fact that shell will or anyone cannot deny.

Ethanol absorbs water from the air and directly by contact with water.

Fuel is the opposite it does not mix with water.

All Petrol stations have water in the bottom of the storage tanks, this is fact.

what will ethanol blended fuels do, aborb the water into the ethanol component from tha tanks.

this it what does the damge to the cars fuel system, the absorbed water.

in case someone that doesn't know asks.

Fuel floats on water, the water in the underground tanks normally doesn't get into your car. Unless you fill up when a tanker is filling tha tank up or the operator fails to monitor the water level in the tanks and it gets up to the pickup point.

but on the other hand ethanol will be in direct contact with this water.

from drums etc its probably very safe from fuel stations is probably contaminated with water.