Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

100 % Octane in VS Ute.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
100 octane at united is 10% Ethanol mixed with premium fuel..

E85 is 85% ethanol and the car needs to have a fuel system capable of using it!

Any car can run 100 octane with no worries.

ok i stand corrected, relying on others and not looking properly when i was last there...... a quick trip to the local united....
E10 is 95 octane
not sure about E85 it's on a separate bowser with a big red sticker with E85 on it, when i looked the other day at a quick glance i didn't see this bowser and assumption being the mother of all *&^%up's thought it was what the big 100 octane banner was for.

a quick query and the 100 octane..... (removed the console operator lied to me see below).

View attachment 155332

ahh google... now i can't even believe what the bloke behind the counter selling the stuff told me, he stated it was not an ethanol blend!! LIER
http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/united/fuel/premium-100

it's premium 98 with 10% ethanol
http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/docs/msds-reports/premium-100-msds-report.pdf?sfvrsn=0

e85
http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/docs/msds-reports/e85-msds-report.pdf?sfvrsn=0

e10
http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/docs/msds-reports/e10-msds-report.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Last edited:

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
That's odd.. The sticker at the united near me tells you that it contains up to 10% ethanol..

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
yeah that's what threw me, there's no mention of it at this one

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
High octane doesn't give you more power, its more to do with being able to run higher compression/boost without detonation. The higher the octane the slower the burn, thats why cars that are not modified/tuned for it can make less horse power.

The only time a standard car will make anymore power is if the computer decided to advance the ignition timing. It does this by slowly advancing the ignition timing until the engine just starts to begin knock then it backs it off a bit, then advances again and keeps repeating this cycle. But that would be only good enough for a few KW, not enough to notice really in the old butt dyno. Might be good for a few tenths of a second down the 1/4 maybe.

with the alcohol mixed fuel you will make even less power as stated above. Alcohol needs the fuel mixture increased a bit to run a complete burn, so running alcohol in your untuned car will make even less power being it will have a lean burn. Now this also defeats the purpose of running a higher octane fuel because the leaner the burn the more likely your engine is to detonate.

Now lastly, this is more so with E85 ( more alcohol ). Alcohol is hydroscopic, it loves water. So if you car is parked up for a while and moister builds up in the tank and then mixes with the alcohol it can start to rust your fuel tank and do other nasty things.

This is alcohol to the best of my knowledge, sorry if any of the facts are wrong.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
actually the delco's don't back it off a bit, they back it off to the max retard tuned into them (around 15 degrees from memory) then slowly return to specified ignition timing in the map once the knock sensor detects detonation.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
actually the delco's don't back it off a bit, they back it off to the max retard tuned into them (around 15 degrees from memory) then slowly return to specified ignition timing in the map once the knock sensor detects detonation.

Thats probably why my car runs crap after it knocks if I almost stall it haha.

Sorry, my pre trade course seems to teach everything in ah...... whats the word. Basically they think every car works exactly the same way.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
it doesn't take long for it to regain, get some data logging going, record and watch what it does, as for running like crap after almost stalling... i'd be looking elsewhere

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
ok i stand corrected, relying on others and not looking properly when i was last there...... a quick trip to the local united....
E10 is 95 octane

Depends where you get it, most e10 is 94RON.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
hrm, think it was a manual crudze 2011 model, put the foot down at 60 kmh in 4th and it was pinging it's something off.... so not all car's retard the timing, tried it a few times and it did it each time, preignition can't be mistaken for anything else, then again it could have been stale fuel and it couldn't retard the timing anywhere near enough... but it was a cruze, just another reason not to ever buy one of those pieces of crap lol

</hijack>