Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Howdy
As the titles suggest im gonna get the car service tommorow and was not too sure what I should be looking at for servicing parts.
Obviously oil and the like but what else may need replacing at this service ?
Cheers guys

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do you have the manual? Look in there and it will have a chart with all the things that are recommended to be changed at each service. The kms should be across the top and a list down the side, it will have an R for replace, an I for inspect and I think an A for adjust.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Do you have the manual? Look in there and it will have a chart with all the things that are recommended to be changed at each service. The kms should be across the top and a list down the side, it will have an R for replace, an I for inspect and I think an A for adjust.

I think the manual is floating around somewhere. Cheers for that
What I also wanted to know was is there anything that I should have inspected (not listed in the manual problems from experience) has anyone had issues at these KM that would be worth getting checked out ?

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
its prettty self explanatory, just see what sort of driving you do..

Alot of bumpy roads? Inspect/replace shocks, bushes etc...
Alot of city driving? Inspect/Repalce Break Pads (F+R)
Dusty Roads? New Airfiltre
Regioanl Areas? New Fuel Filter
Alot of hills? Transmission service...

Check manaul and then what conditions you car is subjected to...

aZk.

=SKB=

Reaction score
It's basically engine oil and gearbox oil replacement. If your brake fluid or coolant is older then two years, Holden recommend it be done as well.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
TIGHTEN FRONT LINK ROD NUTS otherwise she goes clump clunk clunkedy BANG over every little hole or dip in the road :thumbsup: and then check ALL wheel nuts are on and TIGHT :whistling

I just had all filters changed (oil/air/fuel), auto trans service which is just drop and change oil, filter and sump gasket. Also got the coolant dropped and changed and the brake fluid, but thats just me and I wasnt 100% on its previous service history although I know it was fairly good :yeah:

Mine has platinium spark plugs recently installed (dont know why tho) so their good for another 60 000 odd, but you might be up for plugs with yours

And just check for the high pressure power steer leak, they noticed it with mine at 100 000. Known Holden fault but Holden didnt want to touch it because it was just outside warranty. Apparantly the solution is to tighten hose clamps or something, but I just payed for peace of mind and had the damn thing changed. Dont wanna be on a JCCC cruise and get stuck with no power steer fluid!

A wheel align and balance is always a good idea to prolong tyre life, unless you ask Holden to do it in which case it turns 7 month old front tyres into bald, defective scrubbed out racing slicks, but youve seen the result of that ...

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Mine has platinium spark plugs recently installed (dont know why tho) so their good for another 60 000 odd, but you might be up for plugs with yours

they need iridium/platnum plugs as the change interval is every 105,000km

Danoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 06 Exec
How much are the platinum iridium plugs worth??? Is it easy to do yourself???

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
its quite easy,

1. remove both engine covers,

2,unplug the wiring on the throttle body,

3,diconnect the intake tube on the throttle body,

4,remove the pipes off the intake plenum,

5,unbolt the 5 bolts off the intake plenum, remove the intake plenum,

6,now disconnect the wiring off each coils,

7,unbolt the coils and place them in order,

8,remove the old plugs,

9,apply some anti-seize to the threads of the new plugs (note: dont over tighten the plugs you can easily pull the threads on an alloy head)

10,reverse the removal instuctions to put it back together, also put the ignition coils back in the cylinder they came from, you dont have to but its good practice and if the gaskets between the intake plenum and intake manifold is damaged or hard, replace it and dont overtighten the plenum chamber bolts

iridium plugs arnt cheap but its what you need to get, for maxium compatibility get the genuine holden plugs, any plug will cost 20 to 30 bucks EACH:my::cry:

if its on gas change them every 45km

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Andy, re-read my statement man.

I said mine had been recently replaced ie 80 000kays so werent needed, but I said Andrews may need replacing.

Personally I wouldnt let any plug run beyond 80 000. All our V8's running platinum are done at 80 000kays and even then they can be dodgey, I'd hate to let it run an extra 25 000kays just to save $120 - $150