Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

10W - 60 Synthetic oil - is it too viscous?

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
As title. I've been told it may be too thin for an Ecotec (VS).
Anybody know? It's Castrol Titanium Edge Sport, or something like that.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I've used it in my VR Buick, VY Ecotec and now my VZ L76 without problems. Alot of people use Edge 10-60, whoever told you otherwise is a nuffy.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
He said it because his car started to smoke, as the oil was getting into the pistons or something. Yeah I remember somebody with a blue VZ telling me to use it before haha, cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Someone's getting confused here. For a start if an oil is too viscous that means it is too thick, not too thin.
60 weight oil is thicker than the standard 50 grade that's recommended for Ecotec's, so that's NOT cuasing it to get past the pistons. Also synthetic oils should be avoided in cars that burn oil because the smell of burning synthetic is disgusting, that's possibly why he noticed it more when he started using it !!
The 10W cold viscosity is thinner than the normal 20W so it will flow more when its cold but that shouldn't be a problem unless the engine was burning oil to begin with.
Most VS ecotec's burn oil anyway. Arguably the best 60 weight oil to use in this case is Penrite HPR30. That is a 20W60 so has the same cold viscosity as the normal 20W50, but is thicker at operating temp so will burn less. Good for track days too. A lot of people talk BS about oils because they don't understand them.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I always thought higher viscosity meant more thick. My mate seemed to think 60 was more thin than 50 I think.
And no smoke seems to come from my engine currently, he used it on a Toyota Camry at the time

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I always thought higher viscosity meant more thick. My mate seemed to think 60 was more thin than 50 I think.
And no smoke seems to come from my engine currently, he used it on a Toyota Camry at the time

He has a good taste in cars then ;)

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Hahah he now owns a Silvia. Likes his rice :p
But he is asian lol

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
no i always go and always have gone for the 15 - 40 both my mechanic and my engine builder said they are safe for all cars but 20 - 60 is for older type cars thats how i see it plus u should be reading ur manual booklet it will tell you the same thing.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
15W-40 oil is probably too thin, and is not the recommended grade oil for the ecotec. Its gotta be at lest a 20W-50 SG or SH grade oil . The lower number or the oils cold viscosity rating or W grade is fine if its below 20W, as the lower this number is ,the thinner the oil will be at cold startup, which means faster oil pressure buildup from a cold start. Rememeber that 90% of all engine wear occurs at cold startup when the oil pressure hasnt come up properly, so the engine suffers from oil stavation for a second or two until the oil pressure comes up.
I used to use penrite HPR 15 in my ecotec, which is a semi synthetic 15W-60 oil , and it was pretty good as far as keeping the engine clean etc goes.. I now use mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-50 , mainly because my engine gets a very hard time a lot of the time, so I like to use the best in it. I dont have problems with the mobil 1 being too thin and burning away or whatever, and my engine now has around 200,000 km on it.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
no i always go and always have gone for the 15 - 40 both my mechanic and my engine builder said they are safe for all cars but 20 - 60 is for older type cars thats how i see it plus u should be reading ur manual booklet it will tell you the same thing.

Holden recommend and use Magnatec 10w-30 in pretty much all Commodores, and I'll be buggered if a $30 bottle of Magnatec is better than an $80 bottle of Edge 10w-60.