Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12V stepper motors and controllers.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Have a look at concens.com also Ari. My boss got smashed in the back by a hockey stick when she was younger.. Every three years she gets a new lease car and we have to sort out the hands control (flyby wire) and electric handbrack (Linear actuator) then its just a case of micro switch and a rocker switch two live feeds and an earth and BAM handbreak on a button.. (arnt allowed to do the hands control bit for certification purposes)..

Atreidae

(Was an) Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SIDI
Just PM'd Atreidae....hopefully he will drag his head out of his arse....and be socialable. lol

Bugger you Ray, lol

Theres a few ways you could do this with an Arduino. the issue is really getting it all coded right and making sure you get a stepper with enough tourqe

The Arduino is a little computer that basically takes inputs, runs some code you write and does some cool output.
The buttons would literally tell the computer "he wants first now" and move the stepper to suit.

Stepper controllers from Polulu are easy to control from an arduino (want it to move 100 steps? send it 100 pulses)
Pololu - A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier

Stepper motors however have No Idea where they are, if they stepped or if they are jammed (remember those grinding noises in cheap printers as the head slammed home.. yeah that)
So you need to make sure your stepper arrangement can push/pull the leaver under all load, AND! just for completeness needs a microswitch or similar to determine when its "home" (probably park), thankfully the Transmission should be able to provide that.

Servo's on the other hand have feedback circuitry in them that lets them know "where" they are.. even if moved by an external force they will return. but have far less torque

If you want to get started down this deep and dark road I can help you.. But it seems to be a complicated way of solving something that should be simpler to fix mechanically. (I'm sure you have your reasons)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Thank you for changing your signature lol.... I might have gotten an ego on that if I still used that username lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Have you thought of fitting a 4L80E?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
*sigh* yes, i have thought of a 4L80e... till i got to the bit where you weld a new trans tunnel in, then that idea came to a close too.

atreidae; cheers for the input mate. unfortunatly the trans doesnt have a sensor for park that i am aware of, but a microswitch shouldnt be that hard. do you know of any servos that are small enought but with the right torque? did you see the solenoids haxzor posted? reckon it could be done with that?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
If you ignore their engrish, seems like a winner! Awesome find NAAF

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I was actually trying to find if the electronic shifting from a 4L60E could be somehow retro fitted to a T700 and came across that.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Ari either has a furball or is trying to tell us someting....What is it Skip? Sonny is lost in the bush with a broken ankle? Really Skip? Let the ####er die!