Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

17x8 rims with 225/45/17's vl wagon possible?

Robohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 VL Wagon
Hey all...im trying to put new rims on my VL wagon...17x8 VX HSV ones...I have 225/45/17 tyres for them...car has 1st stage lowered king springs.

I went to put them on a the tyre place the other day and they refused to do it because 225 is too small for 8 inch rims and something about its nearly hitting the shock...I was thinking maybe they were lazy as its a bit harder...I thought i did my research before which I found out 225 was the minimum tyre that could be used...

does any professor out there have 225/45/17 on some 17x8's or some knowledge on the subject....it would be greatly appreciated, cheers

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais RB25 turbo, VS Calais
hey man my old vl sedan had 235/45R17's and was lowered. didn't have any problems except the tire rubbing when i hit big bumps really fast. but youd expect that anyway. hope that helps a bit

Robohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 VL Wagon
Cheers yea the shop said 235's were cool but not 225's dam it...I dont want to buy new tyres if i can avoid it....they are expensive as they are!

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
According to Tire Rack in the USA a Bridgestone 225/45x17 tyre is best suited to a 7"to 8.5" rim. I have 225/45x17 type "R" semi slicks on 8" rims and they are fine. I can't see why there would be any difference for other brands. The lower the tyre profile the wider the rim you can use. If you were using a 60 series profile for example then you would need 235/60x17 for an 8" rim.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Yep mate it'll be fine. Might scrub with a million people in the car but otherwise should be all good.

Robohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 VL Wagon
sweeet!

how about any wagon owners out there...problems with it nearly hitting the shock or something like that?

Will try again this wednesday...will let you know the results.

stickym

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Sl wagon and vr executive t5
mate you will probably find the rim sticks out further than the tyre and its looks gay and is probably unsafe. in regards to hitting the schok i would say they are full of it as i had /245/35 (i think, could have been 45/ 19's on my vh wagon no problems with the strut but the big tyres on the rear scrubbed on spoon drains and bumps on the high way etc ) but i think 235's could have helped it along with guard rolling mind you i had choped springs so the spring rate was probably stuffed up.
see pic
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vb-vc-vh-vk/138395-vh-wagon-soon-v6-t5.html

stickym

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Sl wagon and vr executive t5
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vb-vc-vh-vk/138395-vh-wagon-soon-v6-t5.html

thats my wagon with 245/45/19's al round / scrubbed in the back when goin up spoon drains drive ways etc . but i would say 235's with some guard rollin could have helped it also cut springs dont help the situation . but the fronts never touched the front however it was very close to spring seat

17's you will be fine . but the tyre shop is probably right . the rims will be wider than the tyre and apart from lookin gay it is probably unsafe.

Robohan

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0 VL Wagon
Sick wagon!!!

Go a V8 all the way man, probably best chance to own one before the cost of petrol goes up ridiculously...so much fun!!!!

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
im runnin 245/19s on my vl and its fairly low.

lol at price of petrol i remember 8 yr ago fuel was 86c a ltr