Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

185i Timing help

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
Ok ill do that tomorrow after work, i will let you know how i go and i wont touch the balancer :), just from working on the motor im about 70% sure that its slipped because so far ive found cyl 5-7 both had loose spark plugs i mean turned it half a turn by hand and they dropped out, K-Frame both front and rear on drivers side nuts were missing, the wiring was run ontop of the alternator which cut into the wires and shorted so lots of dogey things also get error code 31,59,66,67,73 and 82 the last 5 are because of the stupid manualised auto and 31 its the Theft Deterrent Signal Missing whatever that means lol i appreciate all your help guys thanks

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
So i ended up going over it all, the balancer is perfect as is the keyway, i still dont get why cant i get the timing correct, Can the dizzy and the rotor button have anything to do with the way its positioned? asin if its tdc and the dizzy has been in to the left or the right would that make it out on the balancer?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you dont check the keyway position, you check the timing mark.

the balancer is steel bonded, which means it has a ring of steel (with your mark on it) and then rubber, then the center. the idea is it dampends engine vibrations and 'balances' the cranks rotation.

anyway, blah blah blah, it doesnt 'spin' on the keyway, the outer ring spins on the center, then it shows you an incorrect timing position.

the way to check it is as i posted already, take out number one plug, stick wire in the hole, crank the engine till' the wire stops being pushed out then check your mark and balancer.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah it doesn't balance anything on a 304 it just absorbs vibrations from the crank. My old one was spun almost 15 degrees when I pulled it off and it was fine 2 years before hand

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok i see now :) tomorrow after work will give it a go, so if its spun that would mean i need a new balancer right?

thanks heaps for your help

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
Haha fair enough, well i seen some NuLine balances new and there $55 so least i can set timing then i dont care if it spins i just want to make sure im getting the most power and correct timing before i get it on the road

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
well i gave up looking at the timing mark to tune my carby motor. i found the ping test works best. basically turn the dizzy till the revs reach their highest rpm, then back it off 5 degrees. take it for a fang and if it pings, back off at a degree increment at a time.

no idea if this method would be good for efi though.

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
yeh ill try that just the only thing its got a cam with a lumpy idle so that wont really help! lol ill give it a shot tho seems alot cheaper and easier haha