Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

190 alloytech vs 175 alloytech difference???

tunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
hey guys just wondering what the difference between the 175kw and the 190kw alloytech engine is....?? sorry if this question has already been asked ha.

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Massive difference when you drive the two
Iv driven both and you seriously appreciate the extra gear the 190 has. The 190 gearbox is also smarter. Its excellent at holding gears and gear-braking.
The 190 is also much more responsive and makes every drive a a sportier one... esp in power mode

If ur deciding... Id go the 190 and mod it if u want.. tho I havnt modded mine.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
hey guys just wondering what the difference between the 175kw and the 190kw alloytech engine is....?? sorry if this question has already been asked ha.

Alloytec 175kW engine has variable cam timing on the inlet valves only.
Alloytec 190kW engine has variable cam timing on both the inlet and exhaust valves.
Alloytec 190kW engine has a flapper valve within the inlet manifold, that changes the inlet manifold tract runner profile, dependant upon engine RPM/load. The 175kW Alloytec does not have this.
Early Alloytec 175kW engine has only two oxygen sensors, to comply with Euro II emission standards. The 190kW Allowtec has four (both pre & post catalytic converter), to comply with Euro III emission standards. Later model Alloytec 175kW engines also have four oxygen sensors, to comply with Euro III emission standards.
Different tranmissions & transmission ratios (both Auto & Manual).
Differing rear axle ratios (depending upon transmission fitted).
No doubt, there would be some differences to the firmware loads in the ECU, and the TCM.

Can't think of much else right now.

Last edited:

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Good question really. Most of the info you'll be able to find in the above post. I believe the 5L40 5-speed auto is a BMW gearbox (190kw only). There's also the Aisen D173 6-speed manual transmission (190kw only), japanese gearbox. The 175kw engine comes standard with the 4L60 4-speed auto, GM gearbox.

Now that I've mentioned it, has anyone ever driven the 6-speed manual? Any opinions on it?

tunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
cheers guys. mine is a 175kw auto, was wondering what the difference was and if there was any easy mods i could do to copy the 190kw. seems not. my mate at work has a VZ tonner 190kw with a 6 speed gearbox. ive driven it a few times and the only comment i can give is its a C*$# to change it into reverse.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Personally, i think the 5speed makes ALL the difference lol

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
Have had a 6 speed manual sv6, found 190/6spd pretty useless around town compared to the old 3.8 v6/5spd in terms of driveability unless ur into reving the engine. however when you get into spirited driving the new gearbox is fantastic, much smoooother gear changes, better syncro's, close gearing, seems to feel really strong, everything you'd expect from a toyota gearbox. also license losing material as you can get over 110 out of 2nd gear.....

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
i have a alloytech 190 with 6 speed manual and i love it, reverse is easy to get into to, and the gears are nice and close to each other so it doesnt feel like your driving a truck, feels very sporty to, i look forward to driving my ute everytime haha also around my town speed limit is 50 so id only stay in fourth gear which sits on around 1500 revs so if you wanna put your foot down youd have to change back a gear, but also i dont mind that lol and out of town on 100 sits in 6 nicely on 1800 rpm, and has enough go from cruise going up hills and what not, anyway hope i was of some assistance

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Good question really. Most of the info you'll be able to find in the above post. I believe the 5L40 5-speed auto is a BMW gearbox (190kw only). There's also the Aisen D173 6-speed manual transmission (190kw only), japanese gearbox. The 175kw engine comes standard with the 4L60 4-speed auto, GM gearbox.

Now that I've mentioned it, has anyone ever driven the 6-speed manual? Any opinions on it?

The 175 can be equipped with the manual. My ute is just an S pack manual with the 175. The gearbox is pretty good, but the clutch is weak as piss