Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1979 VC SLE Prototype

chanoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
81 vc in dynasty gold, 80 vc sle 336 pack
There seems to be one or two blokes on fast lane that, may have worked at holden back in the day (same as here on JC).
So we have JC non believers V'S Fastlane believers, and to add spice to the showdown past holden employees on both sides of the fence.
Let the pissing contest begin.
Although we will have to provide the OP with a bowl to squat

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'm still a skeptic. It may be just me and my bullshit radar too sensitive, but some of those numbers and markings look too clean for the supposed age of them. Compared to the surrounding areas, the markings look too fresh. I don't know, maybe it's really what he says, maybe it's not. I don't really care, but to me it looks like a poorly repaired car that is faked to look like something it's not.

siksle8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vc sle

I'm 99% sure I owned that sle before this bloke bort it off me...needed bit of work for my capabilities! I bort it off a bloke past Healesville.
Great read of thread was defiantly entertaining but congrats to OP to owning a two tone sle as i'm a sucker for two tone sl/e's. Sorry for stupid un related reply guys hahaha.

IMG_27841_zps3a1ab9b5.jpg

IMG_27881_zps7e18ca0f.jpg

IMG_27671_zpsd9a165ce.jpg

Mattang

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore 4.2 SLX
Pilot build for production evaluation were at the earliest six months prior to production new model release. I recall the VC to VH; VH to VK and VK to VL pilot builds. A lot of the vehicles would leave the production missing components, during these pilot builds and would end up being parked, until the missing components were located. Pilot build vehicles were never the current model optioned up, they were always the real deal new model. However what used to happen when the model went into production was that parts for the old model became in short supply and these cars would be parked until components were available (if possible), there were some cases where particularly old units were finished off with whatever parts could be sourced. This would include interior and exterior components, but never ADR mechanical components. It is possible that the vehicle in question was a 'mule' and used as a test fit vehicle, in most cases these vehicles ended up at Holden facilities for press shoots etc or sent to Lang Lang, generally were not sold. Paint trial vehicles were common, most of these ended up sold to employees and that may explain some of it's unique VC features. In my time with GM I saw some very special built employee vehicles.

Gee Tee

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 VC SL/E
Hi folks, this is an old thread and it seems there was plenty of 'emotion' when it was being discussed.
I would like to somehow get in touch with 79VCSLE. I am aware he hasn't posted on here for a while. I am a motoring writer and I would like to speak to him about his cars - the VT GTS prototype and more importantly his VB/VC prototype. I am happy to provide my bona-fides etc to those who require it.
Hopefully someone on here will know 79VCSLE personally and be able to put us in touch.
Regards
GT

Caustic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vc base model
Hey Guys ,old thread sorry to dig it up,quite amusing actually.People claiming to own the oldest manufactured commodore.There's a gentleman in perth who has a collection of commodores two and four doors.Also has a private museum,which car clubs can enter for a fee. He's fortunate enough to get sent holdens crash tested and prototype cars since the early 80's.He has a mid 70s VA commodore which is fitted with the VL dash, which had chassis design failure .Bob Ridley,Ridleys motor museum, look him up..

Last edited:

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Couldn't find it easily but then again it could be my browser...... or maybe this is just following the theme of the thread....................:eek:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Must be my browser then......... :rolleyes: