Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1996 VS Taking 10 minutes to warm up

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The economy can be upset as the computer waits for an engine temp of 40 deg plus a fluctuating voltage from the O2 sensor to enter closed loop and take charge of the fuel metering.

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I have the same problem, but i have replaced the thermostat 4 times in 2 years.
And it's always the same afterwards. And the temp gauge corresponds to how hot the heater is too. And i've replaced the heater tap as well.
(Crappy mechanic broke it, overtightening the hose clip)
Personally, i reckon there's too much coolant using the water pump by-pass. Rather than stay in the block and get warm, it actually flows around, making it takes too bloody long to get warm.
All i can think of doing it putting some kind of restricter on the by-pass line.
And it shuldn't cause any problems, as the thermostat would just open up like it's supposed to, once it senses too much heat.
Anyone tried something like that?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
I have some problems with my car too. When I start it up all black stuff comes out of my exhaust, it’s not smoke, it’s more liquid and it spits it out. It takes a good 5-10 mins also for my heaters to kick in but I thought this is how it came out stock (seems I was wrong)

I’ve had my oxygen sensors and crank angle sensor replaced around 500-1000 Km’s ago and my car still has a rough idle, but mainly when you put it into reverse the whole car shakes so hard it feels like its going to stall (its an auto) could it be the thermostat ??

Jecs

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
the shaking means your tranny fluid is due for changing, mine did exactly the same thing

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
haloeight said:
the shaking means your tranny fluid is due for changing, mine did exactly the same thing

Sup Champ.

when you pulled up to a stop sign did the car feel really rough on idle then when taking off it felt like its gunna stall?

Jecs

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
if the thermostate has been replaced, and the prob is still there on a cold morning, drive the car for 3-5min then turn the heater on, when you are using the heater this will cool down the coolant on a cold morning, if you are using the heater with the A/C on could also have thermo fans running and cooling down even quicker.
I find it cold in the early mornings (hate getting up at 5:45). get driving for a few min and then heater on.