Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1998 5L VS series 11 Stato - VT roller cam motor?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Hi all.
Looking at a (July?) 1998 VS series 11 Stato, 5 litre. Seeing VTs were introduced the year before, is it likely this VS Stato has a VT roller cam motor? Without pulling the distributor cap off to look at the different toothed wheel (sequential injection), how would you tell just by looking at it? Is there anything different externally on the motor?

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The roller motors will have a MAF, also the water pump/alternator will have a 4pk serpentine type belt instead of the regular V belt.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Had a look at the car in the flesh tonight (dark and raining so of course the best time) and it is actually a series 111.
V-belts everywhere just like my VP. And the injectors sounded like they were batch firing, clicking 4 at a time, not sequentially.

Thanks guys :)

PerfectMisfit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 SIII UTE
I thought only the series 3 vs utes had the vt roller engine? Mine is an s3 and has regular v belts. Can anyone shed any light and tell me if the engine is the only thing different?