Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1j 2jz toyota or v6/v8 commodore

kramersteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/
i bet the sensodyne who called me troll drives a ea falcon...haha

GenFree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX L67 S
They are 6cyls mate not 4.

Having an uncle that has high involvement in racing would have led me to think you would have a better attitude to all cars,yeah some cars arent my cup of tea but im mature in my debate about their lack of "doing it for me" lol.

Im a Holden man but at the same token not biassed,my 346rwkw BA XR6 turbo seems to be a rather nice ride,better than my VX by far.

Lightweight,alloy headed and over engineered Toyota engines have all sorts of merrit in a Commodores bay,more than the Starfire I can tell ya for certain.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Mate, until you have experienced the 2JZ feeling, dont even put a V6 Commy engine in the same thread.:rofl2:

And ask any Honda driver, 2JZ, no ****!!

Anyone got a link to that Honda/2JZ clip? Funny as:rofl2:

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Pretty much anything built in Japan is over engineered and the 1j and 2j were no exception......

Plenty of threads on here to give you info on them, so use the search bar and have a read...

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
I want to take my mate to the willowbank winternationals to show him true cubic inch horsepower.

you'd be suprised, hands down a v8 sounds better, but a turbo spooling isnt to far off imo. BUT the old saying, the more cubes the better, isnt so true these days.

kramersteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/
you'd be suprised, hands down a v8 sounds better, but a turbo spooling isnt to far off imo. BUT the old saying, the more cubes the better, isnt so true these days.

it matters on the 1/4mile. i dont know much about engines so thanks for all the info i just like the sound of the top fuel/doorslammers etc, i know its a far cry from anything street legal but its just an opinion. I was looking in the elapsed times in the street legal category and v8s still own the show. So i guess i can stand by my statement.

After some research i see why people like the jz motors,

i will open up a can of worms but my dads brother Dennis Syrmis' had the first AA/gas car in aus "Time Machine" debuted a blown 302 Chev in the Corolla on the 24th March, 1973 at Surfers.

Last edited:

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
1/2jz engines are pretty ####ing awesome, some of the best engines to come out of japan during the 90's......

The 3.8 and 5.0 cant even be compared to a 1/2j.... If I remember right they can handle about 1000hp on the stock bottom end.
As much as I like the sound of a v8, try driving a 10 second v8 on the street and then try and drive a 10 sec 2j.....

(also as an example, the quickest stock turbo'd soarer in australia is running around an 11.5 1/4mile..... yep, stock ceramic turbo's and they weigh about 1.6ton, now imagine that power in a VN weighing 1350)

kramersteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/
Yeah i know what you mean. I never intended this thread to become a v6 vs v8 thing i really just wanted to know what all the hype with the jz was about.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Well all the hype is simply because of the bang for buck..

Yeah you can slap a couple of snails on a 304/355 and build it to handle the same as a stock 1j/2j would but at most the 2j would cost you $2000 and the rods and pistons alone for the v8 would be that much.

So spending 10-15 grand on a v8 so it replicates the same reliability and strength of a stock 1j/2j engine is just silly...

You would no doubt hose a 1j/2j down the track with that kind of set up but spend that 10-15k on the 2jz would see you in a morgue quick smart....

And the real winner in this old argument is an obvious one, if the 1jz went bang, you just throw it out and but a new one for $1000 and away you go, my heart would fall out my arse if that happened to a fully worked 304/355....