Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20 inch wheels ride quality?

mboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Clubsport R8
Anyone running 20 inch wheels on a VX care to give me a bit of a run down on the ride quality?

I live in NZ and want to lower the HSV on Super Lows with and eventually get 20inch wheels.

I'm currently on 19s at the moment on FE2 suspention. It's firm but but bare-able.

Nate_L98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 Thunder Ute
20's are fine, but it depends on the quality of the roads in your area really.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Nice for a show car that doesnt do too much driving, but with SLs and 20s...be prepared to feel every bump on/in the road

mboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Clubsport R8
In NZ they are all crappy LOL!! So I'm hearing stay with the 19"s? So if I were to go to SL would that effect quality a lot as well? A local sales rep said that 20's would be too rough, but also said that SL Kings were too soft for our roads!! Seems i can't win here??

Thanks for the replies guys

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I have 20s and SL BMW springs... (lower than Holden Ultra Low)... yip, will feel every bump on our crap NZ roads...

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
For the sake of your spine don't do it. 19's are bad enough.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
I just went from Monroe gt front struts and rear short shocks with Kings SL springs all round on 19x8 rims to KYB front struts and rear KYB short shocks with slightly higher King Low springs with 20x8.5 wheels and the ride is now better and LESS harsh than with the previous set up..The ride quality depends on your suspension set up and component quality a lot not just wheel size..I don't find it bone jarring or uncomfortable ride at all but everyone's different and I've had firm suspension on all my cars so probably used to it..If your roads are pot holed a lot then stick with 19 inch as 20ees will buckle easier if you hit a decent sized one...

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
The harsh ride quality of 19's or 20's gets amplified every inch lower than stock height you go, due to the fact that lowered springs are typically stiffer spring rates than stock springs, in order to not have you hitting the bumpstops and bottoming out all the time.

My WH has 19's BUT has air rear suspension and stock height, so its not actually that bad.

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
I just replaced my 20's with 19's. I had buckles and a cracked wheel from hitting a pothole, and had NO luck getting the council/vicroads to do ANYTHING about it. So thought I'd get slightly more rubber between the wheels and the road. The ride quality with 19's is definitely an improvement. 20's look pretty enough, and are legal etc, but ride quality, handling, and chance of wrecking a wheel on a hard bump make them not really worth it unless the car is just a show pony IMO.

mboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Clubsport R8
I have 20s and SL BMW springs... (lower than Holden Ultra Low)... yip, will feel every bump on our crap NZ roads...

Didn't you used to own a Primera?? Know a guy used to be PrimalSMX??