Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2001 VX SS - Anything I Should Know

nolim8ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS S1
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a 2001 VX SS and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of. My mate mentioned that their were engine problems with the earlier series. Any feedback would be much appreciated. :)

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
i just bought an 02 ss, the more inportant thing with the gen3 is to make sure u get one that doesnt have piston slap, that was the probs with the early ones, to find out if it has, u need to cold start it and rev it up to about 12-1500rpm and see if it knocks, bar that, the gen3s somethimes do rear mains, and water pumps.
backlash in the driveline is sometimes a problem, its usually the center bearing or the rear cv joints. drive the car in first gear and lay off the throttle, then get back on it (not hard) and see if it clunks.

bar that, you shouldnt have any other real problems the vx commodores were pretty reliable.

how many ks on the one your looking at?

wpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV AVALANCHE WAGON VYII
Camber Kit

You may also want to check that it has a rear camber kit fitted to save on inner tyre wear. A known issue in this model,this problem was meant to have been fixed in VX Series II model in 2002.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
You may also want to check that it has a rear camber kit fitted to save on inner tyre wear. A known issue in this model,this problem was meant to have been fixed in VX Series II model in 2002.

The VX Series II was released in August 2001.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
if the car isnt lowered the camber isnt too bad on a series 1, however if u get one thats got it so much the better, however if u do find one it will be dont aftermarket so you dont have much of a chance of finding one that has it

chromic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 E2 R8 Maloo, 05 VZ CV8 Monaro, 96 VS V6 Ute
Are there any sound files of this "piston slap" I started one up at the auctions and it had really noisy tappets under idle and revs, is that what the slapping sound is?

PJ5700

Driving the dream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
I have a VX SS SII. Great Car but a bit quiet. I am playing with the exhaust soon.