Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 VY Ute - problem starting - electrical?

SeanMartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 5.7V8 Manual VY Ute
Vehicle Details: 2004 5.7 VY SS Manual Ute

Hi guys, Sean here.

Okay so this doesn't happen all the time, maybe once or twice a week. When I turn the engine on it struggles. It rev's around 200 - 300 rpm for about 5 seconds then comes right, however, once this is happening whenever I touch the accelerator and come off it, the revs drop back down again. It has never stalled surprisingly.
After driving like this for about 5 minutes I can turn the engine off, then back on and everything is working normal again. Has anyone experienced this issue before?
Another thing to note: when I turned the engine on yesterday, it worked fine, however the clock had changed by itself to a random time.

I'm not experienced at all in the automotive industry so I thought I'd try this forum to see if anyone has ideas as to what it could be. I am thinking it is some sort of electrical problem. Next time it happens I will take it straight to my local garage and see what they think is wrong. I will re-post here with their findings.

Cheers,
Sean

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
3 things, get you battery tested could be dying-low volts (changing the clock has been known to happen) starter motor or starter solenoid starting to go (brush's/commutator worn) or the bendix binding on the fly wheel (little gear on the end of the starter that engages to the flywheel)