Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 Astra?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
The Astra's have a high safety rating, excellent handling, good build quality ( though not as good as Jap quality - they are built in Belgium). The 1.8 requires regular servicing, including new timing belt, guides and rollers every 60,000k without fail. If you can't do the mechanical work yourself, the 60k service is a killer, around $5-600 a time. From other posts in this forum, spare parts are not cheap. The 4 speed auto kills their performance completely as they are a bit heavier than the TS model they replaced, but have basically the same motors.

Someone mentioned the Golf. Brilliant car, fantastic safety levels, braking, handling, steering, but when things need replacing, they are even dearer than the Astra. Servicing costs are high - my Mk 5 Golf had a 65k service and it cost over $600. Electrical components have been suspect in the Mk 5 and that was my experience. Mk 5's were built in South Africa, which might account for the slightly iffy build quality. Mine had a couple of interior parts that needed replacement or repair under warranty, as well as the numerous electrical faults.

Hate to agree with others, but the Japs seem to have the reliability and quality game wrapped up and won't break the bank at service or repair time, compared to the Euro's.

Except Subaru's. In regard to the cost of servicing. 100k-km service timing belt needs to be done. Which is a $1000+ excursion if you can't do it yourself.

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Except Subaru's. In regard to the cost of servicing. 100k-km service timing belt needs to be done. Which is a $1000+ excursion if you can't do it yourself.

Try owning an Alfa............
Just like the Astras they require their timing belts changed ever 60k religiously. $1,500 every time + the service that comes with it.... This has to be done by Alfa.
When i bough the alfa it come with one key. Stupid me never got around to getting second done up, ended up drowning they key........ that was a $3,300 lesson.