Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 ve 3.6 alloy tech pre cat oxygen sensor wires

Danwell

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 3.6
I’m nearing the end of an engine swap in my 2007 ve commodore. I went to plug in the pre cat oxygen sensors and found that the new engines wiring harness has plugs with 4 wires and the old engine had plugs with 5 wires.

My question is if I get sensors with the 4 wire plug are they going to work with the old motors ecu? Also does anyone having a wiring diagram for a 2007 and 2009 ve commodore?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I’m nearing the end of an engine swap in my 2007 ve commodore. I went to plug in the pre cat oxygen sensors and found that the new engines wiring harness has plugs with 4 wires and the old engine had plugs with 5 wires.

My question is if I get sensors with the 4 wire plug are they going to work with the old motors ecu? Also does anyone having a wiring diagram for a 2007 and 2009 ve commodore?
Well now you are testing my memory. Sometime mid 2007 Holden changed the plugs on either the pre cat or post cat O2's. I think it is the pre cats. The plug changed from a squareish plug to a flatter plug that looks the same as the post cat harness plugs.
What does the plug look like on your new engine?

Danwell

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 3.6
Well now you are testing my memory. Sometime mid 2007 Holden changed the plugs on either the pre cat or post cat O2's. I think it is the pre cats. The plug changed from a squareish plug to a flatter plug that looks the same as the post cat harness plugs.
What does the plug look like on your new engine?
That is exactly what I’ve met the plug on the new engine looks the same as the post cat plug. I’ll grab a photo of it later today for you. Thank you for the reply too.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I remember what they look like.
I found out when the parts shop sold me the newer one and it didn't fit because my car uses the older square one like yours.
I don't know how you should solve it. All I had to do was take them back and swap them for the old square type.
Best advice I've got for you is to only buy Bosch O2 sensors for a VE. Anything else usually ends in tears AND you will end up buying another set of Bosch.
Is it possible to swap the whole engine harness from your old motor to the new motor? I don't know what else was changed between those years..

Danwell

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 3.6
I remember what they look like.
I found out when the parts shop sold me the newer one and it didn't fit because my car uses the older square one like yours.
I don't know how you should solve it. All I had to do was take them back and swap them for the old square type.
Best advice I've got for you is to only buy Bosch O2 sensors for a VE. Anything else usually ends in tears AND you will end up buying another set of Bosch.
Is it possible to swap the whole engine harness from your old motor to the new motor? I don't know what else was changed between those years..
Thank you for that, if I have to change the sensors I’ll get Bosch ones. I could possibly still change the harness over, the trouble is the engine is now installed in the engine bay. So I’m trying to find an easier option. If I change the ecu will that mess with other things?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Wasn’t it VZ 04/05 that had four wire pre cat sensors? Maybe looking for one of those will make finding a suitable o2 sensor easier.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Four wire sensors will be two wires for data/signal and two wires for heater circuit? Have I got that right?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wasn’t it VZ 04/05 that had four wire pre cat sensors? Maybe looking for one of those will make finding a suitable o2 sensor easier.
The early VE used the O2's carried over from the VZ. Coils were carried over as well and changed later on. It's a good motor though. Doesn't have the SIDI dramas and relatively simple compared to other alloytecs.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The 06/07 VZ V6 use wide band precat. Same as most VE. They also use a four wire post cat sensor.

Maybe look for VZ post cat sensor or VE post cat sensor.

If it’s a four wire pre cat sensor VE, it must have been like one of the first production runs?

Or does OP mean the harness is five wire and the sensor is four wire? That would mean the post cat sensor is screwed into the pre cat spot.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As discussed above the early VEs with the LEOs made before mid 07 used a pre cat 02 sensor with a square plug the same as the VZ plug. If you try to plug in a newer model 02 with a 'flat' plug you can't.
I haven't counted the wires or the pins. I could post a pic in a few days if you like.
My car was built about a month before Holden changed over to the 'new style' O2's and coils.