Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2008 VE Calais-V

fjvermeeren

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Calais VE
Hello

I'm a newbie when it comes to cars in general I've had my Holden for about three weeks now my qweation is... I want to get the roof liner upholstery done the problem is it has a rear roof mounted dvd player that works but isn't in a good enough condition too keep.

Is the process as simple as replacing the headliner form another VE with a dome light without having to modify anything, I don't know?? I would like to keep it original, I can't find any parts in NZ I seen one on EBay, paying for shipping GST cost would be $1500/1600??

Attachments

• 20240404_164854.jpg
    20240404_164854.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 40

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The DVD player still works, but you want to chuck it ? .......... and you want to keep the car original ? One or the other ?.
Surely there is a reputable upholsterer in your area that could replace the headlining for about $ 300 > $400.

fjvermeeren

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Calais VE
Yes the dvd player works it has issues though it is basically just hanging there the clips are all broken the drop down screen is held up by a screw and it is missing part of the surround?

I guess I have two option, as you said replace the old lining be patient and hopefully I find a replacement or parts or replace the headlining with a basic light. Decision time I guess.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Find a wrecked VE with the basic roof liner board (might get lucky with fabric still in place, although it is only a matter of time before it separates) and fit that.
I am sure that NZ members can point you in the right direction for wrecks / parts.
Keep your old liner and DVD player in the shed until such time as you decide it is taking up space and then repair it after a suitable period (cupla years) or chuck it, as all Holden owners do.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
1. Stop putting pins in the roof. The whole roof liner has wiring looms and CANbus ones at that. One pin in a loom and you’ll start getting problems you wish you never had.

Yes, you can unplug the DVD and install a standard sedan roof liner. You’d be far better advised to find a second hand DVD player.

Repair Bull is a mobile roof lining business. They will have it done in a few hours at your house.

fjvermeeren

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Calais VE
1. Stop putting pins in the roof. The whole roof liner has wiring looms and CANbus ones at that. One pin in a loom and you’ll start getting problems you wish you never had.

Yes, you can unplug the DVD and install a standard sedan roof liner. You’d be far better advised to find a second-hand DVD player.

Repair Bull is a mobile roof-lining business. They will have it done in a few hours at your house.
Thanks... the pins do look ugly, I think I'll wait a few months, if I can find a second-hand DVD player or parts I'll keep it if not then it will be swapped out. I will still keep the old parts

fjvermeeren

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Calais VE
Find a wrecked VE with the basic roof liner board (might get lucky with fabric still in place, although it is only a matter of time before it separates) and fit that.
I am sure that NZ members can point you in the right direction for wrecks / parts.
Keep your old liner and DVD player in the shed until such time as you decide it is taking up space and then repair it after a suitable period (cupla years) or chuck it, as all Holden owners do.
Honestly, I couldn't believe the prices some wreckers would charge almost 200% more than what i paid online crazy... Thanks, I'm not going to give up on the DVD player, I'll wait a few more months and see what's out there

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Those pins - ouch!

Late to the conversation... but yeah leave it there. It CAN be fixed (there are a few that do this - you take out the unit and send it to them) assuming you're leaving your orig head unit there. From what i can gather, these OH/DVD players were not the best quality and after a few years tend to start getting faults (mine did, but to be fair also had plenty of use). My DVD player is still in place and I had the headlining replaced. Also I understand the wreckers want unjustifiable amounts for parts, supply/demand - but I'd leave it and put the word out to some wreckers of what you're looking for. Try to get some sort of relationship with one.
Alternatively, with a new head unit also get a new OH DVD player. I know Alpine do one. It'll look schmick. Looks like you still have young kids so might be worth the expense.

fjvermeeren

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Calais VE
Those pins - ouch!

Late to the conversation... but yeah leave it there. It CAN be fixed (there are a few that do this - you take out the unit and send it to them) assuming you're leaving your original unit there. From what I can gather, these OH/DVD players were not the best quality and after a few years tend to start getting faults (mine did, but to be fair also had plenty of use). My DVD player is still in place and I had the headlining replaced. Also, I understand the wreckers want unjustifiable amounts for parts, supply/demand - but I'd leave it and put the word out to some wreckers of what you're looking for. Try to get some sort of relationship with one.
Alternatively, with a new head unit also get a new OH DVD player. I know Alpine do one. It'll look schmick. Looks like you still have young kids so might be worth the expense.
I had some luck last night I noticed someone selling a headliner board that was in good condition without the DVD player so I messaged the seller asking if he had an overhead DVD unit for sale, he has one but is 50/50 in terms of selling at this stage.
Finding that online has sparked my interest in keeping the unit. So moving forward I'll get the upholstery done and hold out till I either replace the DVD unit, or find the parts I need to fix it. Thanks.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What you want to try find is the bracket that it fits into. That is screwed to the roof. Theres a bunch of tabs that help hold the DVD unit in and they are handy to get.