Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 VE SV6 Aircon problems and questions

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I know where its leaking, high preasure side (as per attachment as an illustration/guide)
VERY Common on the VE's. V6 & V8's

That being my NEW replacement pipe/pluming to be fitted, that I will replace, and get the old one repaired and shelve it.

I have found a Refridge Mechanic in Keysborough that will re-gas it for $80 cash (I go to him)
The high pressure line (hose to pipe junctions) are the most likely fail as they are the one under the most stress (hottest and highest pressure)… It’s the most common failure point in many many cars :mad:

Fixing the pipe is conceptually easy but you need to solder new crimp fittings (few dollars each, so cheap) and a bit of new hose (close to $100/m sold at min 1m lengths) while a hydraulic crimp tool ($160 here) makes the final part of the job a breeze.

The whole pipe repair doesn’t take much effort and one’s first repair will cost about 1/2 the price of an OEM part (and because you’ll have the crimp tool and extra hose the next repair will cost peanuts). Pipe remove and replace (on some cars) can be a royal pita :(

Really, many ac places just charge too much for their services… and it wouldn’t surprise me if they fix your pipe and charge the price of a new OEM pipe (which is probably why they say they threw out the old part out when you ask for the old part back)…

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The high pressure line (hose to pipe junctions) are the most likely fail as they are the one under the most stress (hottest and highest pressure)… It’s the most common failure point in many many cars :mad:

Fixing the pipe is conceptually easy but you need to solder new crimp fittings (few dollars each, so cheap) and a bit of new hose (close to $100/m sold at min 1m lengths) while a hydraulic crimp tool ($160 here) makes the final part of the job a breeze.

The whole pipe repair doesn’t take much effort and one’s first repair will cost about 1/2 the price of an OEM part (and because you’ll have the crimp tool and extra hose the next repair will cost peanuts). Pipe remove and replace (on some cars) can be a royal pita :(

Really, many ac places just charge too much for their services… and it wouldn’t surprise me if they fix your pipe and charge the price of a new OEM pipe (which is probably why they say they threw out the old part out when you ask for the old part back)…
I got a quote from ENZ in Dandenong to repair it (off the car) for $180, which I recon is a ripoff, for 20min work.
With that quoted price, I enquired at Booran Holden in Cheltenham (now a KIA dealer, but still services Holden’s)
And the cost of a OEM unit inc GST was approx. $220, and was still available (at the time)
So I purchased it, and have it ready to install.

That said, I don’t mind paying the money if I can see the value it it,
But I refuse to be screwed over,
That’s where I figured, a replacement is a value for money.

Last edited:

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
You have to remove the fan plenum under the glovebox in the interior. Complete PITA to do unfortunately. Video below on what’s involved minus the AC evaporator as you wouldn’t need to do that part.

Geez, what a palava! There's something to be said for opening the windows when it's hot, and wearing more clothes when it's cold.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Geez, what a palava! There's something to be said for opening the windows when it's hot, and wearing more clothes when it's cold.
Well if Holden didn’t program in the shitfuckery of making the system blast out full hot if the actuator system isn’t working properly then that would be possible!

The only saving grace you have on a dual zone car is that it only blasts hot out on the passenger side (American drivers side!!!!!) so you can get away with it for a while before replacing or fixing it (as I did) if you don’t normally have a passenger.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Did they give you back the old piping ?
No. I didn’t ask for it back. There was actually some other stuff I got them to look at as well so the line and regas was actually about $600.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I am assuming they possibly will be no longer available now, so parts like that are valuable for spares.
And if someone has a part that is unavailable,
It will be worth a few dollars later on.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I got a quote from ENZ in Dandenong to repair it (off the car) for $180, which I recon is a ripoff, for 20min work. With that quoted price, I enquired at Booran Holden in Cheltenham (now a KIA dealer, but still services Holden’s). And the cost of a OEM inc GST was approx. $220, and was still available (at the time)
So I purchased it, and have it ready to install.

That said, I don’t mind paying the money if I can see the value it it, But I refuse to be screwed over, That’s where I figured, a replacement is a value for money.
When I rang ENZ and other hydraulic hose repair places pre covid, I was told they don’t do ac hoses any more :oops::(

May give them another call as things sometimes change over time :) or can change depending on who you talk to :mad:

Back then I also felt it was a ripoff considering the cost of the beadlock fittings, hose, tools needed to do the job and time to do the job… For some cars it pays to buy all the stuff and toss it afterwards and it’s still cheaper than buying a new ac hardline.

Oddly I had one ac guy say he won’t fit new beadlock fittings or guarantee the system if you supply them because in his view they leak… I suspect it’s just him pushing fear into peoples mind so he can make more $$ (and I suspect he’d he take the old part and repairs it to be sold as new to another client… a rip off really) :rolleyes:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

My AC guy has started having the VE lines made and carries them in his van.

He said the ones he gets made are way better because quality hose is used and the crimps on the joints are far better than the mass produced ones.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
My AC guy has started having the VE lines made and carries them in his van.

He said the ones he gets made are way better because quality hose is used and the crimps on the joints are far better than the mass produced ones.
What does he charge for a new line? Does he keep your old one? Does he provide a discount if he keeps your old one?