Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 sv6 e85

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Hey Pir4te - you can get it at Bald Hills and Caboolture and on the south side as well now - all United group ones. I live 7km from the Bald hills one.

Let me see... greater resistance to detonation? check.... Greater heat absorption on evaporation ? check... Able to allow the engine to run more timing advance and higher compression? check and check... made from local content ? bio creation from sugar bagasse by CSR - check...$1.27 per liter ? Check.... Available at Servos all around the place now ? err sort of check...Can the parameters for running your engine on E85 be changed with a chip change ? Check.....so does that mean you can have an E85 tune in your glovebox and a 98Ron tune in the ECM and just swap between due to fuel availability ? check... and does are the byproducts of burning E85 better for the environment than all other types of currently available fuels including LPG, diesel and petrol ? Check....hmm... whats the downsides ?

Need Alcohol resistant rubber fuel lines - which became mandatory in 1999 in Australia.
Need to burn about 30% more to get the same total energy output so you need bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump.
But if you do need to burn more, do you get any flow on benefits from greater heat absorption and more timing and compression ratio? yes you do - in an engine with +8% timing and +1.0 compression ratio you get about 10% greater burn efficiency - so an engine that is optimised for E85 will be about 10% more efficient than one that is not optimised, and will consequently burn about 20% more fuel than a 98RON optimised engined, and generate about 15% more power.

And not need anywhere near as much intercooling.

shinc

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE II SV6 Sportwagon
Simple reason is that with tune and OTR package for say $1300, OP's high compression (11.6:1) engine with large capacity Direct Injection, four valves per cylinder and tunable (variable) valve events does make 200-240rwkw by flashing performance tunes are available in HPT and EFILive for the (2012 e39 LFX) Camaro V6.
A flex fuel tune retains 100% 91-98 compliance so can be economical and drive like a granny whenever or by choosing ethanol the flex fuel sensors adjust automatically from mild to wild, at the pump. However the crap tune in it at the moment does little more than make it possible to run either fuel, and is promoted as more environmental.
LFX is a beast that needs ethanol to bridge the KR issues presented by the stock GM OS for the e39.
BTW e85 uses about same on lean cruise (highway and light load).

So with a tune you can utilise the full capabilities of the fuel and pull a considerate increase kwatw. But as the car stands stock. It's just tuned to accept the fuel. Not make full use

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Hey Pir4te - you can get it at Bald Hills and Caboolture and on the south side as well now - all United group ones. I live 7km from the Bald hills one.

Let me see... greater resistance to detonation? check.... Greater heat absorption on evaporation ? check... Able to allow the engine to run more timing advance and higher compression? check and check... made from local content ? bio creation from sugar bagasse by CSR - check...$1.27 per liter ? Check.... Available at Servos all around the place now ? err sort of check...Can the parameters for running your engine on E85 be changed with a chip change ? Check.....so does that mean you can have an E85 tune in your glovebox and a 98Ron tune in the ECM and just swap between due to fuel availability ? check... and does are the byproducts of burning E85 better for the environment than all other types of currently available fuels including LPG, diesel and petrol ? Check....hmm... whats the downsides ?

Need Alcohol resistant rubber fuel lines - which became mandatory in 1999 in Australia.
Need to burn about 30% more to get the same total energy output so you need bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump.
But if you do need to burn more, do you get any flow on benefits from greater heat absorption and more timing and compression ratio? yes you do - in an engine with +8% timing and +1.0 compression ratio you get about 10% greater burn efficiency - so an engine that is optimised for E85 will be about 10% more efficient than one that is not optimised, and will consequently burn about 20% more fuel than a 98RON optimised engined, and generate about 15% more power.

And not need anywhere near as much intercooling.

Great summary mate, but am I right that you really do need to up the CR to really make use of it, in your words it needs to be "optimised"?

Just wondering, drive in with rock stock VF, don't touch anything, fill up with E85, all things said and done to go XX km it will cost you more driven the same way than 98?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Great summary mate, but am I right that you really do need to up the CR to really make use of it, in your words it needs to be "optimised"?

Just wondering, drive in with rock stock VF, don't touch anything, fill up with E85, all things said and done to go XX km it will cost you more driven the same way than 98?

Haha depends where you are going and if you are in a hurry! See during closed loop idle and lean cruise fuel flow rate is similar. Lambda during PE is the big diff coz stoic. Having said that it makes more torque at lower RPM so less throttle can get you further than revving on petrol. It is possible for example for me to get 650k/tank on 98 and 550k/tank on e85 being 'sensible and frugal' - 18% less but costs 30% less.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
PIR4TE is there a good place in Brisbane for the E85 tune?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Same old story I guess, a modified more powerful car can be more economical IF you don't use the power.....

Trying not to be pedantic but riding the torque vs RPM (HP) will get you there as fast, cheaper on e85 without all the mang!! Really sink the boot and at least your alcohol-fueled killerwasps are not corrupting the native bees :beer chug:

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
PIR4TE is there a good place in Brisbane for the E85 tune?

Seems everyone up here uses VCM Suite, and the best results I've realised was using EFILive, perhaps because the calcs and tools (possibly people who use them) are better suited? Dunno

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Make you smile at the pump

Gotta love it...

8288A08E-F963-4BD1-B4E8-C8FBA87144D9.jpg

Mackenzie, Brisbane