Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 GTS camber settings for trackday

Andys GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF GTS LSA
Hi guys I'm a new member here at JustCommodores so excuse me if I ask questions that have already been posted and discussed previously. I have a 2015 6.2ltr GTS LSA which I am using on track days at my local track (Baskerville). Its a 2.1km track with some tight corners through sector 1 which are causing excessive wear to the outside of my front right tyre, Baskerville has only 3 right hand corners and 7 left handers. My GTS has a factory setup at the moment but i want to make some 'not too technical' changes to reduce this wear and hopefully produce better lap times. l do drive my car on the steet (touring) from time to time but usually drive my ute as my daily drive. I understand the concept of the way camber can reduce outside tyre wear and create better cornering grip but I'm a novice at making these adjustments. So I'm looking for advice on the best way to make the required adjustments to my GTS, the difficulty of making these adjustments myself, and if I can use the standard factory components to do so or do I have to purchase and install aftermarket components to get the best settings for track days. As you can imagine I'm a bit nervous about screwing around with the setup of such an awesome car without some good advice first as i could potentially make it handle like a old shitbox very quickly but I can't continue to eat front right tyres with the setup I have now lol. I realise most of you guys are very experienced as this stuff and are having a good laugh at my lack of knowledge but I'm keen to learn so anyone got any answers for me please? Thanks Andy

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
Hi guys I'm a new member here at JustCommodores so excuse me if I ask questions that have already been posted and discussed previously. I have a 2015 6.2ltr GTS LSA which I am using on track days at my local track (Baskerville). Its a 2.1km track with some tight corners through sector 1 which are causing excessive wear to the outside of my front right tyre, Baskerville has only 3 right hand corners and 7 left handers. My GTS has a factory setup at the moment but i want to make some 'not too technical' changes to reduce this wear and hopefully produce better lap times. l do drive my car on the steet (touring) from time to time but usually drive my ute as my daily drive. I understand the concept of the way camber can reduce outside tyre wear and create better cornering grip but I'm a novice at making these adjustments. So I'm looking for advice on the best way to make the required adjustments to my GTS, the difficulty of making these adjustments myself, and if I can use the standard factory components to do so or do I have to purchase and install aftermarket components to get the best settings for track days. As you can imagine I'm a bit nervous about screwing around with the setup of such an awesome car without some good advice first as i could potentially make it handle like a old shitbox very quickly but I can't continue to eat front right tyres with the setup I have now lol. I realise most of you guys are very experienced as this stuff and are having a good laugh at my lack of knowledge but I'm keen to learn so anyone got any answers for me please? Thanks Andy

Welcome Andy... I can't help you with your question but are sure someone on here can help you, great to see that you are getting your beast out for track days!

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Ahhhh... Track days & camber, you can never have enough.

Firstly, how serious are you about track days?
Secondly, how much money are you happy to funnel into it?

Look, the simplest and cheapest(apart from don't do track days...) is buy another set of "Track" rims & tyres... cause your normal wheels/tyres cannot handle the stresses of a track and no matter how much camber you throw on the car... while they are great for the road, just don't cut it on the track.

My 2c...

Andys GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF GTS LSA
Hey Darcon666,
I'm fairly new at track days but probably attend once every couple of months which is about as often as they are held at Baskerville.
I am not able to throw money at it as I'd like but happy to spend a bit on well targeted improvements.
I have been to my local supplier and purchased some track wheels and tyres (not top of the range but reasonable, just under 3k) but not keen to start using them till I get the best setup. I have till August 12 before next track day.

H

harrop.senator

I always start at 2.5 degrees negative with .5mm toe in per degree of camber to counteract and flatten the wear pattern. Maybe try 2.5 neg and 1mm or .8 in to counteract your toe wear.

H

harrop.senator

Also unsure how big drift is around tou but iver here 265 35 18 is new d1 control tyre. Heaps of people importing semis with 300 treadwear aa traction and prices start as low as 85ea for power sports and brand names about 150 ea .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Camber settings, I'd start around 2 degrees negative with 0 toe.....0 toe is the settings I generally give a street/come track car...

And yes, the factory components will give you these settings, without expensive components added to the car

Andys GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF GTS LSA
I always start at 2.5 degrees negative with .5mm toe in per degree of camber to counteract and flatten the wear pattern. Maybe try 2.5 neg and 1mm or .8 in to counteract your toe wear.

Thanks for the advice harrop.senator. It's in line with the general opinions I've been getting so far. Just a few differing opinions on toe-in settings, some say tow-in is required, others say its not needed. I understand you feel toe-in is needed to counteract the toe wear ? Excuse my ignorance mate but does the toe-in mean the inner tyre wear will be reduced on straighter sections of the track or am I misunderstanding the concept.