Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 VF SV6 Twin Turbo

Talidorian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vf II SV6 Black Edition
Strut spacers are not the same as a body lift on a full chassis vehicle. I think they would create more underbody clearance.
hmm, I'm honestly more confused now than I was before.
According to pedders catalog, they make a set of springs (KHFS-150) which in theory are standard height+10-20mm, buuut according to other sources they are just standard height on a VF commodore, and only 4x4s and fords would get an extra 10-20mm height.
So maybe in conjunction with these springs and some strut spacers I could achieve some safer height.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Springs are a whole different kettle of fish, as the shaft length on the shock remains the same - you can change the length of the spring as much as you like but the shock assembly has a maximum mount-to-mount length, whereas when you add a spacer you are increasing that mount-to-mount length.

Adding a longer spring will only affect preload and reduce sag in the shock, rather than increasing it's physical length.

Talidorian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vf II SV6 Black Edition
Springs are a whole different kettle of fish, as the shaft length on the shock remains the same - you can change the length of the spring as much as you like but the shock assembly has a maximum mount-to-mount length, whereas when you add a spacer you are increasing that mount-to-mount length.

Adding a longer spring will only affect preload and reduce sag in the shock, rather than increasing it's physical length.
Hmm i guess my next problem will be that no one makes strut spacers for VF commodores.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Yeah they won't help to increase ride height noticeably as the shock will still be the same length.

Might be worth looking into higher side-wall tyres also like I said earlier so as not to ruin the appearance.

I imagine that getting custom strut-top bushes would be expensive but I would recommend contacting Mackay, as they do a lot of custom and one-off stuff if you wanted to go down the strut-spacer road

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I'd be seeing someone else about the turbo plumbing setup first. E.g. even if the pipes need to be routed under the subframe, can they be a flater style, rather than round. It just seems like a massive compromise to me to have the pipes being the lowest point on the front end. I'm no expert on the subject. But, I wouldn't have accepted that as a setup. Failing that, I'd consult a suspension shop e.g. Pedders.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
I'd be seeing someone else about the turbo plumbing setup first. E.g. even if the pipes need to be routed under the subframe, can they be a flater style, rather than round. It just seems like a massive compromise to me to have the pipes being the lowest point on the front end. I'm no expert on the subject. But, I wouldn't have accepted that as a setup. Failing that, I'd consult a suspension shop e.g. Pedders.

Totally agree. I'd be looking for any way to modify the piping and increase clearance before resorting to raising the car.

I hope you find a way to achieve this to a point where the car can be lowered rather than raised. Hopefully the installers will work with you to make this happen. After all, a requirement to raise the car would be a deal breaker for many prospective customers.

That said, well done for going ahead and doing something different.

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
no tramission upgrade?can the stock auto hold the torque the turbo is producing