Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 stroker

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah, itll be a fun engine. i cant stress enough how much i love roller rockers so if you ever find the cash go swap em' over. but please dont listen to big horsepower claims like "300KW" cos' they are just not true. not flaming anyone, not criticising, just think that some people need to really understand how engines work and what power they can expect.

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
riiiiight.......lol, i certainly hope you have some form of proof to you 300kw claim. to prove us "ignorant people" wrong

so your saying that you can get 2.2 VE from a 202 N/A? just by boring it out and sticking triple webbers on? jesus, i wonder why holden dropped the 202? seems like a silly thing to do if you can squeeze that many horses out of a 6. my V8 is pushing around .9 VE at the mo.

Come now Ari - Maybe our friend slayer is a little over enthused with his figures, but you can't write the old six off completely. Holden dropped the 202 for two reasons - emissions regulations, and the amount of money it would cost to redevelop it to meet them. Bit of a shame really, I reckon it would have been good if holden had of kept on with an aussie straight six, like ford.
Just wondering, what does VE mean? I googled it and found nothing.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
VE = volumetric efficiency pretty sure, seriously tho u can get good power out of the holden 6's, i spent 4 grand on a 186 (now a 208) for the vh...it went hard but u can do so much better 4 that price, could have done a 304 or 308 conversion or rb30et conversion. all are easy and cheap to do if u can do it urself

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
VE = volumetric efficiency pretty sure, seriously tho u can get good power out of the holden 6's, i spent 4 grand on a 186 (now a 208) for the vh...it went hard but u can do so much better 4 that price, could have done a 304 or 308 conversion or rb30et conversion. all are easy and cheap to do if u can do it urself

Thats true, you can of course get more for your dollars, but as much as I love the v8s, its a pretty common conversion. I like the v6 conversions as well, but I just love the old straight six. Its hauled a lot of people a lot of k's around this country over the years. And because so many people knock them, it would be cool to have one that went hard. And I hate rb30's with a passion. I'm sure there's a special circle in hell reserved for those who put rb30's in anything pre vl. Or indeed after vl.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lol, although i read the article (well, most of it) i still dont believe it. i prefer to believe wikipedia: "Volumetric efficiencies above 100% can be reached by using forced induction such as supercharging or turbocharging. With proper tuning, volumetric efficiencies above 100% can also be reached by naturally-aspirated engines. The limit for naturally-aspirated engines is about 137%[1]; these engines are typically of a DOHC layout with four valves per cylinder."

and yeah by VE i meant volumetric efficiency. i.e. 300kw, being 430hp, 202 cubes = 2.12 (my maths sucks btw) that is a HUGE figure. im not saying you cant make a powerhouse, i am just stopping the guy from getting his dreams up, only ti have them dashed when he does his first dyno run.

wish-i-had-a-V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
mazda
u know there is a 202 in a VK putting out 300+ kw at the wheels and before he gave it forced induction it was at 200+ RWKW n/a so u can make big power out of these engines

big power is interpreted different by people when i see a motor thats flat out pushin 30kw at the wheels and u times it by 10 your making big power id like to see a v8 commodore makin 200kw at the wheels factory make it to 2000kw or a turbo falcon putin down 150kw at the wheels make 1500rwkw

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Another option worth looking into would be to fit a straight six chev engine into your car. They were available in 250 and 292 cubic inch and look very similar to a holden six. Back when HQ holdens were made the south african models had the chev engine fitted from the factory instead of the holden six.