Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 or 308?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I just bought a V8 for $200....the guy said it was a 308, but I can't see any reason why it would or wouldn't be if ya know wat I mean. I haven't picked it up yet, still workin out how to get it back here. It has chrome 308 rocker covers, so I thought maybe the other guy thought it was a 308 coz of them, but I'm guessing they'd fit on a 253 as well.

Anyways just wondering if anyone can tell wat it is from the pictures below. I don't care if it turns out to be a 253, coz it's a 4spd so I'm still stoked. Obviously be a lot happier if it is a 308 but I just wanna know for sure.

I couldn't find any castings marks on the block like how the 202's have 3.3L.

308_4spd003640x480.jpg

308_4spd004640x480.jpg

308_4spd005640x480.jpg

308_4spd010640x480.jpg

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
No way to tell from the pics, looks to be a 308 since it looks like an original rochester on it. Need to see the castings on the block to be 100%.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Looks like it's been together a long time and I don't think anyone would bother spending much money on a blue 253. Did you realise it has a aftermarket manifold on it?. Good chance you have yourself at least a mild 308

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Ya get the box with it ? is it a 3 or 4 speed ? My 308 had it cast in the block but im not sure if they all do.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Cheers guys....when I go pick the motor up I'll have another look....coz for $200 I want it even if it is a 253 coz then we can put it in our next burnout car (legal comps). Yeah it comes with the 4spd, the pedal box, the tailshaft and the complete exhaust.

I did start to think it could of been an aftermarket intake, coz I've been looking on ebay at 253's and 308's and I haven't come across any with the same manifold as wats on mine. Mine has 'CUSTOM' cast into the top of the manifold, u can see the 'M' in the last pic. Anyone know wat manifold it could be? The guy I bought it off said it's lumpy as f**k...so I guess it could have a mild cam too. And yeah she's pretty dirty :p. My bro bought a 308 trimatic the other week for $650. I saw it for the first time the other day and it's clean as.....not an oil leak to be seen and the paint looks new. I told him it's prolly been rebuilt, but he said it's never been rebuilt it's just been looked after.....but for a 20-odd year old motor it is definitely to clean even if it's only done a few thousand k's.

If mine's a 308 I'll more then likely rebuild it with a few goodies then drop it in my wagon. I've also got a supra 5spd lined up but not sure if I'll get it...depends if this is a 253 or 308 coz if it's a 253 I don't wanna spend to much on it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Looks like it's been together a long time and I don't think anyone would bother spending much money on a blue 253. Did you realise it has a aftermarket manifold on it?. Good chance you have yourself at least a mild 308

looks like a single plane manifold also, odd for a holden V8 of that vintage. also see a bit of Holden blue paint behind the exhaust manifold

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
looks like a single plane manifold also, odd for a holden V8 of that vintage. also see a bit of Holden blue paint behind the exhaust manifold

Wat's a single plane manifold, is that a good one? lol :thumbsup: I'm new to V8's.....only played with Holden 6's b4 :p

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Just did a bit of research and apparently the single plane manifold produces more power when ya get the revs up, and the dual plane gets better power down low. That's right hey?

Wat can the 308's happily rev to? Would 5500-6000rpm be ok for these things?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Just did a bit of research and apparently the single plane manifold produces more power when ya get the revs up, and the dual plane gets better power down low. That's right hey?

If it's rebuilt with good part's and the standard 2 boot mains, 7000rpm isn't a problem. If your talking about as it is, I wouldn't spin it much psat 5000rpm.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

you say the guy you bought if from says it's really lumpy? if that is the case, lumpy cam means high RPM power band, could also explain the manifold (if it is indeed a single plane). you got it right with the single plane/dual plane configuration.

untill you get it and either run it, or strip it down and check it you won't really know. they say a standard 2bolt mains 308 block is good for 6500rpm and 480hp (street machine dec 07,sydney speed supplies) yet some insane bugger called VQ Rat spins his stock bottom end to 7500rpm continuesly during extended burnouts and it lives:D so the standard 304/308 bottom end is fairly tough:thumbsup:

be even tougher with a mains girlde and mains stud kit (they say stronger then just fitting 4 bolt mains.... now 4 bolt with stud girdle?....10,000rpm+ now that would be fun:whistling