Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300 kws what to do ?

phatass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
hi there guys ,

ive looked thru searched threads already but there isnt a thread that ive seen that has alot of clarity in performance gains and reliablilty. so id like to start one with everything if thats ok. im new to commodores and v8s so if its ok id like a bit of information.

what do to to get up to 300 kws?

supercharger ? how many kws can you get from this ?
full exhaust? 2 inch ? 2.5 inch ? for automatics which will be best for perofmrance gains ?
cold air intake ? OTR or walkingshaw performance ? which one will gain the most but without dangers to water ie rain ?
computer ? can the stock computer handle 300 kws ? if not what computer is reliable
does cold start affect this setup ?

thank you !

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
well i full 2.5 inch system, OTR intake and a good tune should get you close to those figures

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
are we talking rear wheel kw or flywheel kw ?
if you are talking 300kw at the fly, then Jezza is on the mark

however if you are seeking 300 at the wheels, then you are going to need a fair bit more effort.
A couple of guys I know with VE's are making around the 300rwkw with a cam upgrade & tune to suit
factory ECU can handle fairly much anything, it's the tune that is important

phatass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
ok if 300 is got to do with cam upgrade then i dont wanna go that far.

im happy wit hthe car hits around 250 - 270

so id like to get a approx gain on each ie

supercharger
full exhaust system
OTR cold air intake
stock tune or another reliable computer

and also will the auto gearbox handle it all

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
ok if 300 is got to do with cam upgrade then i dont wanna go that far.

I'm confused, you are prepared to consider a supercharger but arent interested in a cam upgrade? A cam upgrade is much more straight forward than a supercharger.

In regards to which mods give the most kw, a supercharger and more aggressive tune will give the most power gains... but I reccommend you do it step by step, starting with a cold air intake and full exhaust first.
Because regardless of your preference, these are the first two mods you should do before strapping on a supercharger and retuning- which will require these mods anyway.
No point in supercharging and retuning prior to new exhaust and air intake.

A stock box will handle moderate power gains, and will only start to give you grief when you go for higher boost levels and changing engine internals.

phatass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
something about opening up a 30k engine up buggs me a bit :p das all

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
I took my 08 A6 SSV from 211rwkw to 257rwkw with a OTRCAI, full 2.5 inch exhaust system and headers and a good tune. When I throw in a cam one of these days, I would be looking for 300+rwkw. A6 box at these levels, no probs. You can also get the box remapped to make the gear changes tigher etc.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
something about opening up a 30k engine up buggs me a bit :p das all

An L98 is only worth $5-6k out of the crate. Don't sweat it, it's a tough donk and and take it.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
You won't have any dramas with a cam upgrade butttttt... what about this? An L98 with an Eaton MP2300 bolted on (plus a couple of other mods) will pump out 535rwkw...for around 12-13 grand!

kits_holden_ve_v8_eaton_tvs4_big.jpg

mmmmmm sexy!

webby123

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss v
Hahaha , ok's firstly, it's not the donk your opening up with a cam upgrade..... it's just the head of the engine, not a major issue with anything. If you were considering replacing rod bolts then perhaps. As others have said a supercharger is a far larger job and incorporates a far larger risk than just doing a cam upgrade. You've got more torque to worry about and the cars only going to make so much power with the standard cam in there regardless what size supercharger or turbo you put on there. The engine can only flow as much as the parts allow it to flow in the end !!!!

If you're only looking for 250 - 270 rwkw then go for a 2.5" exhaust and a tune and maybe an exhaust. If you're after 300+ on the L98 then do the same mods with a cam upgrade and will push enough air to allow you to make in excess of 310 rwkw + (depending on the size of the cam ofcourse) .

Hope that helps.

Cheers