Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300rwk+ what's next

joely116

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2007
Hi in about 8 weeks ill be getting my otr, gmm street racer cam kit fitted along with trans cooler and maffless tune. Ill be doing 3:45 diff gears later on and tru trak.

What's the next thing I should be looking at to strengthen to make it so I know I can give the car a good thrashing around the track and still drive it home.

I'm doing brakes as well Dba 4000 series slotted and drilled with dendix street race track pads

joely116

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2007
The car is ve ss l98 auto, gmm get 300+rwkw out of that cam and same mods all the time

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Are you doing a full system exhaust? And what about Porting the heads?

If you're interested in track thrashing the car an Auto Tune would be ideal, Possibly even get the auto drained flushed and refilled with a new deeper pan.

Circuit racing? or Drag strip?

If drag strip I reckon tail shaft will be a potential problem..

joely116

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2007
Yeah full exhaust will be done when cam go,s in, the tuner is spending two days tuning including the box and will keep the car for another day and do hot,cold starts make sure it performs and shifts at its best for what I want,

The car will have 3800rpm stall also it will be used more at events like powercruise and powerplay so track work but more just having fun, ill prob go drags a few times a yr,

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
maybe a manual box if its for track racing? auto good for cruising and 1/4 mile but track racing?

joely116

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2007
Going manual would be going backwards in my books, I'm not track racing or 1/4 mile racing much at all, it's more about hitting the track giving it a good thrashing powerskids,straight line races things you do at powercruise and powerplay, if I was going to change trans I'd be putting a 4 speed in it, if I decided to go lower or somthing,

I think I'll do.

Box rebuild
Anti tramp axel kit
Stronger tail shaft

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Sounds like your spending a bomb on this car. It will cost you plenty for fuel even when your just putting around with a 3800 stall converter and 3:45 at the back. Maybe just keep that in mind :).

Just a suggestion but why not keep your car the way it is and get a hold of a old VN and throw a big block in it and got nuts. All you might need for your current car is a toe ball.

It's just an idea and thought I'd put it out there.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
As others have stated, 300RWKW + is not unusual in these cars. Was also spoken about in another thread that the standard auto box is capable of handling a large amount of power which is reassuring. Great to see you're putting a tranny cooler on as this is one thing that seems to be over looked on autos.

If I were you, I'd be making sure absolutely everything of the car is fresh in regards to it's fluid, etc. Given the car is approx 5 years old, it might also be worth while having various seals & hoses replaced (Or at least inspected) to make sure they can take the extra punishment & heat you are intending to expose it to.

What I'm suggesting might seem pedantic, but I'd rather be safe then sorry over what is comparatively a small amount of money / time / effort at the end of the day.

joely116

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2007
As others have stated, 300RWKW + is not unusual in these cars. Was also spoken about in another thread that the standard auto box is capable of handling a large amount of power which is reassuring. Great to see you're putting a tranny cooler on as this is one thing that seems to be over looked on autos.

If I were you, I'd be making sure absolutely everything of the car is fresh in regards to it's fluid, etc. Given the car is approx 5 years old, it might also be worth while having various seals & hoses replaced (Or at least inspected) to make sure they can take the extra punishment & heat you are intending to expose it to.

What I'm suggesting might seem pedantic, but I'd rather be safe then sorry over what is comparatively a small amount of money / time / effort at the end of the day.

No not at all what your saying is what I was going to do befor it gets tuned,

joely116

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2007
Sounds like your spending a bomb on this car. It will cost you plenty for fuel even when your just putting around with a 3800 stall converter and 3:45 at the back. Maybe just keep that in mind :).

Just a suggestion but why not keep your car the way it is and get a hold of a old VN and throw a big block in it and got nuts. All you might need for your current car is a toe ball.

It's just an idea and thought I'd put it out there.

Not really about 6k worth so it's not bad, I don't want a car that has to be towed I want to drive it to track and home.. Iv decided a mp1900 charger will go on as at the end of the yr, hopefully that should get me to 600hp with fuel system upgrade and safe tune, Iv gotta do somthing to keep up with my mates cars they are all between 600hp to 1000hp street driven daily to work, so that's what I want aswell.