Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 5L efi purchase question

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hello all, im looking at purchasing a 304 5L efi motor and gearbox, the bloke that is selling the motor said it was running before it was removed from the car but it had lots of oil leaks and the camshaft was stuffed, my question is will this motor be a good starting point for a rebuild? Or should i look for something that is in better condition? I just don't wan't to spend the money on it if it will not be able to be rebuilt. Any thoughts and opinions would be good. Cheers Tom.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
at the end of the day if you are rebuilding it, most parts will be replaced anyways.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Agree with Jecs. Your replacement parts list will probably include the following, depending on distance travelled: The bits in bold will be absolutely required. Some of the other bits may be "ok" but only for normal use. If you are planning on driving it hard, replace the lot.

Cam
Lifters

Rocker arms
Valves
Pistons
Rings
Bearings (cam, big and little end)
Oil pump
Timing chain and sprockets

Rebore
Regrind Crank

Possibly line bore
Valve seat regrind/recut
Valve guides

Any old engine could require all the above parts and machining, so it depends on the size of your budget and the cost of the engine and trans you are looking at. Make sure it's very cheap.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd be more interested in the condition of the bores and crankshaft journals, fairly much everything else will be replaced.

The only other thing of consequence would be the valve guides and seats as these can be costly to repair.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If there isn't any lip in the bores I'd re-ring it and put some new bearings in and call it good. The old 5L's handle new bearings and rings very well, at least compared to the v6's which are more of a complete rebuild/throwaway engine.

If you're going to fully rebuild it (assuming you're after performance), stroke it. It doesn't cost THAT much more...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They're getting old,only real way to know is to pull it down to see what condition it is in.

Even if it was a runner sounds like high mileage engine needing rebuild anyway so price it accordingly.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Sorry about the late reply been busy with work, cheers for the info guys i ended up passing on the motor and gearbox. Cheers.