Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 304 Holden V8 Revisions (5000i)

8rody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hello all!

I'm new, looking to 'upgrade' into the Holden V8 space (after getting sick of the Buick 3800, i've rebuilt way too many). I've done some googling, and havent been able to come up with any concrete evidence of any revision differences between the 308/304 Turbo-Hydramattic Bolt Pattern motors.

Are there any revision differences between the VN - VT?

Also, am I able to grab a say, a cheap solid WB 308 block Turbo-Hydramattic Bolt Pattern and fuel inject it / cams etc with no incompatibility problems?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this department, yes i'm a Noob. Be kind!

Thanks mates!

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
not 100% sure but the V8 VN-VT only had slight changes, and most were internal so if you pick one of these up would be your best bet, you'll prob spend the same amount of money doing that to a 308 as you would just buying the 304.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yes you can use the entire top end of a injected motor on a early 308 block

bear in mind however that from VN onwards the heads have different port spacings to the earlier 308 heads so different intake and exhaust manifolds are required as well as a cam to suit.

picking up a complete VN engine shouldn't be to expensive. get the wiring loom whilst your at it.

VN-VS are fairly much identical. however the VT 304 had a roller cam fitted and various other changes. although the VT blocks are suppose to have some of the best webbing in the valley of all the 304 blocks they seem to suffer badly from core shift.

the best block would be the VN GRP A with 4bolt mains

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
yep VL-VN GRP A 304, 4bolt main's, crank webbing, stud girdle's, twin throtle body.

8rody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
So a older 308 block, can take EFI heads, provided that the intake and exhaust matches.
Sound advise, I'll stick to the 5000i VN-VT.

I think a GRP A 304 might be alittle too expensive in comparison to the run of the mill VN-VT.

Q: "Small internal differences" what would these be?
I get the GRP A is reinforced to the buggery, but the standard VN-VT 5000i is there one model revision more desirable then the other?

Much appreciated, thanks mate(s) :dance:

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
So a older 308 block, can take EFI heads, provided that the intake and exhaust matches.
Sound advise, I'll stick to the 5000i VN-VT.

I think a GRP A 304 might be alittle too expensive in comparison to the run of the mill VN-VT.

Q: "Small internal differences" what would these be?
I get the GRP A is reinforced to the buggery, but the standard VN-VT 5000i is there one model revision more desirable then the other?

Much appreciated, thanks mate(s) :dance:

yes you can put 304 heads on a 308 block.

their were small differaces in the heads, bolt patern remained the same.
some heads had exhaust exchange via the valley cover other's didn't, but you could change valley cover and block the exchange anyway.

but answer to your question 308 with vn~vt injection heads and throttlebody and exhaust, go for it.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I have seen plenty of 304i v8 motors go for less than $1200. They are quite often on ebay. There was one on here in the f/s section, he couldnt give it away for $700.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yep just get a VN motor they are a much stronger motor than the early 308, you get the good VN heads and A9L rods (MUUCH better than the ones in a early 308) and stronger webbing ect ect, There's alot of reasons to get a VN one (without mentioning no problems with engine numbers and the epa man) but just have the faith and get one:). 1200 will be the average price but you can _sometimes_ get them fro under a grand but expect to pay 1200 for one with the loom. Gearbox will be extra ontop of that

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
Better still VN engine ditch the injection,after market manifold 650/750dp holley msd ignition..let the fun begin!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
vt and onward is what you want. roller cam/lifters, which are available retro-fit for older blocks, but the lifter bores are too shallow and they are prone to 'popping out' at high rpm.

the crank webbing was significantly improved and the wall of the water pump was re-inforced to stop the water pump drive being rammed through the block in a minor accident, rendering it useless. which supposedly happens quite often.

also the bores are relieved for 5.7 and there are illusive 4 bolt mains floating around on some of em' but cant remember which models.

so yeah. the small amount more you will pay for a later block is more than worth it :)