Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308 to 304 EFI setup help

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, yes, yes and yes. i am VERY aware of how many threads there are about converting a 308 to a EFI 304 but i am looking at more specifics than that.

my car GUZZLES petrol and frankly i am getting a bit sick of it. i never wanted to bite the bullet before because my brand new pacemaker headers, brand new edelbrock performer inlet and brand new crane 286 would all need to be thrown in the bin (as i like to call it EBAY) coupled with the fact that spent nei on a grand shaving the heads, throating porting polishing and putting in bigger valves.

BUT a full tank of fuel for 200kms speaks for itself and now am looking at upgrading. (plus 147.5rwkw is PISSWEAK)

ok, so my engine as it stands:

308 VT engine prefix
flat top forgie pistons
balanced rotating assembly
adjustable cam gear and crane 286 (obviously will need to be changed)
pacemakers into 2.5 inch system which will be upgraded to twin 2.5 inch system over the next few weeks i also have hundreds of magna flow 91006's in stock so dual cat twin system will be the go i think to keep it legal.
shift kitted trimatic trans, which seems pretty tough.
dual craig davies thermo fans
6AL
carter black 15 PSI fuel pum.... wait*

so: to unlock my target goal (even though i am cheating and going EFI) of beating a stock 32 GTR i would need around 165RWKW, that is a pretty realistic figure from these heads right? what would a crane 286 yield from the efi setup? cos i really like the lope it has, but also i am guessing my fuel economy would suffer as a result.

would i still be able to use the mallory 6AL or is that to be thrown away as well (no big deal, my chevy could use it) but alos i have a custom build dizzy, and efi is hall-effects yes?

would my yella terra (street terra shaft mount) roller rockers fit the efi heads?

how big is the ECU and is it a massive pain in the rectum to find a spot for it on a VK (which has an immobiliser/central locking unit in the ONE spot i could find with any space)

would my stock radiator be ok to run it? ebing that alloy doesnt really like tap water running through it and old VK dont know how to cool on anything BUT tap water, lol.

*just realised that i will need to run a return line for efi and a high pressure pump??? gay. do i have any options here? i.e. carby? cos replacing the carter is not gonna be fun.

anyway i will leave it at that for now and hopefully this thread will develop :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you are going to run the banana manifold and have decent economy you will be aiming for around 175 rwkw with a mild cam (much smaller than the 286), this will have much better low and mid range + better top end than your current setup. With another manifold and ever so slightly cleaned up heads you might/should reach 200 rwkw. If you are going to have the engine out you might as well put a VN sump on it too.

For the return line you can just steal one from an injected VK or a VL, there shoudl be a spot for the ecu (since the VK efi had one) and yes your dizzy can go in the bin with the other bits. I've beaten R32's with quite alot of boost in them with just a stock motor so that's no big deal, they aren't very fast usually

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I've beaten R32's they aren't very fast usually

no i know, but its a running bet with workmates.. long story

i guess the main q is (since no one else is answering) is the injected setup really going to save me any more fuel? i dont really wanna go throwing bits in the bin if i cant justify the money saved.

god id be pretty much scrapping my entire build to start again :(

edit* will the YT rolers still fit? god !!! will the rocker covers fit????? i forgot about that. the VN heads have different cover bolts dont they?

edit edit* what would a VN sump achieve?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Unsure on the rockers, well how much fuel does it use now. The injected top end will do 10l/100 on the highway and maybe 15 in the city? jsut depends how crap of a carby you have on it now as to how much better it will be. The VN sump has windage trays in it so no point running a crap old one if you can get a VN one cheap. Yes rocker covers are different

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
dont have to even make the plenum could go the 4 barrel throttlebody instead and fit stock aircleaner for the oldschool look still

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'd go for the TP manifold with EFI throttle body too. rockers should fit to i think. you could even use a TP manifold with a carbie

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
TP manifold with a carbie

if i was to do that would i be able to use my dizzy+6al? this efi thingie isnt really all that cheap is it?

i am guessing the bill is at around 2.5 to 3k... its nearly worth getting a complete VT roller engine

oh fuel bill is around 28L to 100kms in city traffic (bumper to bumper for 1.2hrs each way). carb is in good nick, rebuilt recently, checked/tuned weekly.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if i was to do that would i be able to use my dizzy+6al? this efi thingie isnt really all that cheap is it?

i am guessing the bill is at around 2.5 to 3k... its nearly worth getting a complete VT roller engine

oh fuel bill is around 28L to 100kms in city traffic (bumper to bumper for 1.2hrs each way). carb is in good nick, rebuilt recently, checked/tuned weekly.

if you used VN heads, TP manifold (or COME or Harrop depending on your loyalties) then yes, your dizzy would still work. only if you fitted EFI would the later style dizzy be required. you can still use the 6al with EFI.

ouch on that fuel bill, a V8 in those circumstances is never going to be good.

if you go with the VN heads you would need to shave em to get the comp up, VN heads are 65cc standard i think where as the earlier heads are 58 or 59cc if memory serves my right.

even if you start with just the Heads, manifold, cam and headers to get you running with a carby, you can always add EFI hardware later on (ecu, loom ,throttle body,dizzy, injectors, fuel system upgrade)

this is a interesting read Untitled Document