Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308 to 355 timing chain . Help please .

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X, 1997 SII Calais .
Hi Guys . Im currently building a black 308 into a 355 and have hit a hurdle . I have the cam in and the crank in and went to put the timing chain back on and the crank gear won't fit on (too small).does it need to be knocked on or should it slide on ? My other problem is my timing marks on the chain and gears don't match up ? Does the scat crank have the key ways in a different spot to the 308 crank ?

Forgot to mention that the timing chain has 2 gold links ( 9 links apart )to match the marks on the gears . Not line up the 2 dots .

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
How much too small is it? Might need to be heated a bit to fit on, or a couple of gentle taps with a softface hammer. Most aftermarket cranks are a tighter fit than the original.

The timing marks don't line up on a 308, they need to be 9 links apart. When the motor is on number 1 TDC, the dot on the crank gear will be on the passangers side of the engine, sort of pointing towards the sump. You count 9 links up the chain and that's where you put the dot on the cam gear.

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
How much too small is it? Might need to be heated a bit to fit on, or a couple of gentle taps with a softface hammer. Most aftermarket cranks are a tighter fit than the original.

The timing marks don't line up on a 308, they need to be 9 links apart. When the motor is on number 1 TDC, the dot on the crank gear will be on the passangers side of the engine, sort of pointing towards the sump. You count 9 links up the chain and that's where you put the dot on the cam gear.

Thanks mate . We have done as said and the cam is rocking between exhaust stroke and inlet stoke . seems like the cam is 180 out ??? Or is this correct .

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
The dots line up . just seems the cam is 180 out ?????

P14-12-10_2145.jpg

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's crow cam . It's the same timing chain and cam i had when it was a 308 . and worked fine .

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Well, it has to be right then....If the piston is at TDC, and the bottom gear/dot is in the right spot (looks like it is in the pic) then it has to be right.

When you say rocking, where exactly are the cam lobes? Stupid question i know, but your definately looking at number 1?

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats what i was thinking . All i can think of now is if i spin the crank 180 to get top TDC again and all will be fine . It must be the way is gets set up . So thinking 180 turn and get it back to TDC and install the dizzy to that .