Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308 to 355 timing chain . Help please .

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I've always just put the dizzy in straight after installing the cam. Never had to turn it over to fit the dizzy...

Have you got the heads and rocker gear on? Or just the lifters? If you turn it over now, which lifter moves first? Inlet or exhaust?

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X, 1997 SII Calais .
I've always just put the dizzy in straight after installing the cam. Never had to turn it over to fit the dizzy...

Have you got the heads and rocker gear on? Or just the lifters? If you turn it over now, which lifter moves first? Inlet or exhaust?

Inlet moves first .

If we spun the crank 180 the whole thing would be normal . Both valves would be closed and have no.1 piston at TDC .

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, turn it over till it's on comp stroke and fit the dizzy.

Thanks for your help . I'll have a crack at it tomorrow and see how i go . I'll let you know how i go .

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Yeh, no worries, it must be how it's set up. I don't recall turning it over to fit the dizzy, but then again it's been a little while since i built a Holden V8 so it's quiet possible i did :p

Edit: I just had a quick look at my Holden V8 book (you have me intriuged now) and it says the same as i have, when the cam is installed it should be on number 1 TDC compression stroke. Going by that, something is a miss...I'm wondering if the dowel pin in the cam is 180 out? Did you have any of these dramas when you fitted it in the 308?

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
number 4 will be on compression all is fine leave it as is and make sure you get number 4 valves rocking when you slot the dizzy in for number 1 cylinder

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh, no worries, it must be how it's set up. I don't recall turning it over to fit the dizzy, but then again it's been a little while since i built a Holden V8 so it's quiet possible i did :p

Edit: I just had a quick look at my Holden V8 book (you have me intriuged now) and it says the same as i have, when the cam is installed it should be on number 1 TDC compression stroke. Going by that, something is a miss...I'm wondering if the dowel pin in the cam is 180 out? Did you have any of these dramas when you fitted it in the 308?

I can't remember having any troubles building the 308 . which makes me think all is good . I haven't done anything different this time from last .

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
No problems with the timing at all . Everything is where it's meant to be . Just a matter of fitting up the engine to the car and fingers crossed it goes first time :)

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you prime the oil pump?

I've never had to . I've bulit a few engines now ( mainly V6's ) and have never primed them . This is my 3rd holden V8 rebuild and will approach it the same way .