Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308 to 355 timing chain . Help please .

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Well, good luck. I've never had any success with getting oil pressure with Holden V8's without priming the pump, so now I just do it as a matter of coarse. I prime the pump, start it straight away (no winding over with the plugs out) and get oil pressure instantly.

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X, 1997 SII Calais .
Well This is the first time but i can't get oil pressure . as said never had to do it before ....... little annoyed by it really .

How do you prime the pump . Fill the pump and filter with oil and bolt it on and start straight away ?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Pull the oil pump off the engine, remove the 2 little 3/8 head bolts that hold the 2 halves of the pump together then seperate it. Pack the gears with vasoline or grease (whichever you have, i prefer vaso) then put it all back together, fill the filter with oil, screw that back on and kick her in the guts.

You will get instant oil pressure.

Some people don't agree with starting an engine straight up and not cranking it over with the plugs out, but that's the way I've always done it and it's served me well, so i will continue to do so....

How long have you run it with no oil pressure?

Last edited:

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
30 seconds maybe 45 but no longer .

Not all at once tho . 2 or 3 short stints .Just glad i used a sheet load of assembly grease .

Last edited:

Fusion

Awww I bent my wookie !
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hopefully it's ok then.

Got oil pressure yet?

Sure have good buddy . Priming worked a treat ! Use grease . Don't even think it was more than 2 seconds and the oil pressure was up and engine runnin smooth and quiet . I can believe the difference between the 308 note and the 355 note . Sounds very deep on idle . Thanks for everything . Yet another day and another lesson learnt .

Last edited: