Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 VK Wagon

hg premier

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE , hg premier
I just brought a Vk wagon which has a 308 engine and m21 gearbox

Currently in mind is Easternats 2010 to test her out but am looking for ideas to give the 308 a bit more go??? dont have the big bucks yet to rebuild it so was looking for easy upgrades atm

any ideas welcome!!:idea3:

In future would love to stroke it and Supercharge it but Depends on the $$$$ factor in the future

Was also after some information about the M21 4 speed gearboxes and how they go??
It definatly needs a new clutch so that first on the cards with a cut and polish!!!

have a look and let me know what ya think

Attachments

• vk 308 wagon front.jpg
    vk 308 wagon front.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 2,799
  • vk 308.jpg
    vk 308.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,251
  • vk interior.jpg
    vk interior.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,558

kego

Reaction score
Members Ride
custom vk Calais
hi mate, great buy.

lots of people will tell you to do heaps of different stuff but if you want big gains easily the first things i would do is vn style heads, a good manifold and a good tune.

heaps of people will say all sorts of stuff but without opening up the engine, do those couple of things and it will go realy realy good and you wont be wasting cash because all that stuff is only going to be good later if you decide to do internal stuff.

hope that help

cheers

kego

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
without changing cam;

modify the quaddy (kit 70 bucks ish), fit a 2 inch phenlonic spacer (50 bucks) open up the inlet chamber of your stock manifold so instead of 4 holes it looks like two kidneys (free, or 10 bucks for a die grinding burr). and buy a set of pacemaker headers (700 ish give or take). i say pacemaker cos' they are the best bolt ons for up to330 HP, which you wont get from a stock cam. take off your secondary muffler and just run with the primary.

70+50+10+700=830

i aso would highly recommend going for VN heads, but to do so you will need to replace cam/lifters/inlet manifold/exhaust manifold then you have the decision of sticking with quaddy or going efi, either will not be cheap. and you said you didnt have much cash, so the cheapest bet is to mod what you got

ignition is often overlooked on the ol' girls and i would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend a mallory 6al. they are brilliant, wont give you any HP at all but just cleans up the ignition spark so a cleaner burn, starts better runs better easier to tune etc etc. bout 400 bucks

look, if you post up a budget then it would be much easier. and ya gotta decide if your gonna change cam cos thats the starting point really. we need to know how many ponies you are chasing

kego

Reaction score
Members Ride
custom vk Calais
i think myself and ari666 have basically covered it for you mate but as ari666 said we need to know a budget.

i must admit i kind of over looked modding what he had and trying to stick to a realy tight budget but do as ari666 said if you don't have the budget but if you got enough cash then do the vn style heads and manifold.
they are the two biggest things i would do (without going into the internals) but as ari666 said ignition is good (i would go MSD)

but then where do you want us to stop ?
cam,manifold,flat top pistons, up compression ratio, carby,carby spacer, ignition, air cleaner,exhaust,full valve train,stroker kit lol,full rebuild lol, nos haha,

the list never ends but i hope we were of some help to you mate. so post up how much you are willing to spend at the moment and we can give a a better idea.

cheers

kego

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

kego

Reaction score
Members Ride
custom vk Calais
LMAO. the 20 million dollar question comes out. mate, how many mods can you list with a never ending budget, id be going for one of those alloy blocks/supercharged etc etc etc.

(NOSSSSSSSS!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

ah ha ha ha hahahahahahaha

do you realy want me to list them ? hahahahaahahahah

hg premier

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE , hg premier
Thankz heaps guys!! was after all those little ideas and prices thankz ari666 that gets my mind ticking.

Well atm i would want to spend max $1,000 before easternats
I would love to see how it goes at easternats before going to big!

Havnt made my mind up weithier to use it as a daily in a year or so or give it heaps of work and look at low numbers on the drag strip!

First thing on the cards is a clutch kit
Then after your advice an ignition system and exhuast work

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
You want it to do a better skid then go for 3.9 diff gears and a minispool.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
I'd say listen to ARI666 & KEGO, they know what their talking about

Last edited:

kego

Reaction score
Members Ride
custom vk Calais
i just re read ari666 post above, just remember if you get some headers for 308 heads they will not fit the vn style 304 heads as they are different.
(personally i would wait until i had vn style heads, but that's me )

cheers

kego