Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$370 for a new vo coil pack and dfi fitted .. ok ?

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
MY cars original factory coil pack died and car had no power etc anyhow I was quoted $150 to fit a 2nd hand one ... so I went for that option and guess what happened after 2 months ..

thats right that one blew ...

took it in they put a brand new Vp coil pack and dfi ... I looked .. its brand spanking new ..

didn't think you could get them new anymore .. but I was wrong..

anyhow I have been trying for years to find why my car had a miss ... was told change spark plugs , leads , clean throttle body ... get injectors serviced , change oil , change filters... did all that .. still had a slight miss ... well guess what .. it's gone ... car is like new again ..

anyone having bad idle or has engine miss ... please get a Vp coil pack ... they are repairable unlike the original vn block ones...

also I was told by 3 mechanics that my inlet manifold gaskets gone and that was causing the miss ... was quoted $300-$400 to do that ...

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Yeah i'm looking at fitting a VP coilpack as well, as soon as i can find a decent one at the wreckers. Also that must be a joke $300 to fit a gasket for the inlet manifold. I'd charge you $20 if you supplied the gasket and chucked in a few beers with it.

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
The coil/dfi module pack is held on by 2 bolts, 5 minute job.
Buy a reconditioned coil pack and bolt it on yourself.

The manifold gasket is a bit more involved as you have to remove the fuel rails and injectors and a few other things, but is pretty easy to do, depends really.

I used gasket goo and bogged the corners with high heat silicone,just make sure you observe how the last guy bogged it up, for some reason mine needed silicon bogg on it as well, I am not sure but I think there was gaps between the manifold and the head, that could not be filled with goo alone.

Personally I would get a mate or pay, since you cannot change a dfi module I would not recomend the manifold on your own.

But when you got the bonnet open one day have a look below the DFI module and you will see the screws holding it on (and there is a small bolt holding the electrical plug in).

disconnect neg battery terminal-important!!
Use a small spanner to remove the screws, use a small 1/4 ratchect to remove the electrical plug nut put the whole unit asdie with leads still connected...reconnect the new one, do the bolts up and do up the plug , do not overtighten the electrical plug or it will crack and stuff it.
Remove the leads one by one from the old one and place them one by one onto the new unit in the exact same position.

cheers

Dan

Last edited:

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
The VP - VR coil packs X 3 are easy to test. They die over time. Get a multi-meter and you can test them by removing the 2 leads on each unit. Set the meter for K-ohms. The reading should be about 7 K-ohms. If it is open, then it is stuffed.

In 15 years I have had to replace 4 coils.

The DFI module below the 3 coils are usually bullet proof, --------- but then again ???

The cheapest option is to test each coil by replacing it with a known good one. Do this with all to eliminate the faulty unit if there is a faulty unit.

If you are running LPG, a faulty coil can cause backfire havoc, even if the engine is running smooth.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I sold my VN a year ago and it still had the original coil pack on it after 302,000km. I owned it 10 years and the only ignition problem I ever had was a broken spark plug lead. With these ignition systems it is important to check the resistance of your spark plug leads and if they are too high replace them as from what I understand when the resistance gets too high it can damage the coil packs.