Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

470kW LS9 Commodore is happening.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Fark some you blokes are depressing.

It's a car aimed at people who can willingly afford it, not you lot complaining "oh damn I'm gunna loose 50k on it in 10 years"

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You'd just tighten your $50k back up, and you'd be sweet!

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Mercedes-AMG

A bit more expensive over here sure, but 100 times better car!
But if you have the cash to buy one out right, you'd probably add the ls9 commodore to the stable also.

It will still be a very nice car and attract a certain type of buyer but seriously, check out the 2017 e63.
Same price but way more car for the money.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Was there a mandated removal of leaded petrol from service stations? Or was that a response to fewer & fewer people buying it?

It was mandated and unleaded was phased out in 1986. That was the principal reason, for example, that Commodores switched from the old Red/Blue/Black 6 to the Nissan engine. Making the old nail run on unleaded reduced its power so much it would have struggled cutting a healthy lawn.

@SSV

Can't argue with you there. No matter what Holden or HSV do to their cars, they would never have the cachet, quality or appeal of any current model Mercedes. Particularly the quality. Mercs and other costly German cars don't sell for the inflated prices just because of import duties and sales taxes. The quality of the engineering, the level of advanced safety features, the design and the quality of the materials used inside and out is far better than our local vehicles have ever been. If, as you suggest, the e63 matches the new HSV in cost, and I had that sort of cash, I know where I would be spending it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Because I have no more interest in a poxy Camaro or Corvette than a Commodore?

It was mandated and unleaded was phased out in 1986.
New cars had to be able to run on unleaded (with a couple of exceptions) for 1986, but did it become illegal to sell leaded or did it's availability just dry-up as cars which couldn't run on unleaded dried up?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Or take $50 and build a killer 10 second runner with all the comforts and invest $115k in something more worthwhile....

Leaded fuel wasn't 'banned' until 2012 IIRC and only in automobiles. Kind of gave a decent amnesty from the 80's to get all requirements for lead addressed. Avgas still contains lead and will continue to so that light aircraft remain maintainable but there are some low-lead derivatives on the market.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
New cars had to be able to run on unleaded (with a couple of exceptions) for 1986, but did it become illegal to sell leaded or did it's availability just dry-up as cars which couldn't run on unleaded dried up?

Hmm, stretching the memory banks now, but obviously, leaded had to remain available for some time after 1986 as so many vehicles back then couldn't run on unleaded and as I recall, additives for unleaded to run in the older cars wasn't all that readly available. I was driving a 1982 Camira in 1999 and leaded was still available then. I think it was just gradually phased out as the number of older leaded engined cars diminished. By around 2004 or so, it was pretty much finished. There was a legal use-by date sometime around then.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Leaded fuel had 10c a litre added at some point, interesting about older cars not running on it as in NZ they had banned leaded fuel a long time before it was in Aussie, maybe the fuel in that time had very poor octane levels.

Also interested is running a car without a cat on unleaded spews carcinogens into the air so banning leaded fuel changed the way they were poisoning the world, but the world was still being poisoned!

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Mercedes-AMG

A bit more expensive over here sure, but 100 times better car!

100 times better! Wow, that's incredible. We all love AMGs, but I think you're underselling VF just slightly there.