Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4runner v6 3.8 how to defeat cooling issues when in lowrange 4wd

kramersteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/
I know that but most are for ac and its a better option to put them on the engine side. Besides the point no 4runner/surf would have enough room for a thermo in front anyway. so really all this is pointless to the surf and 4runner owners because the only thing that will work is a engine driven fan.

I posted this thresd to help all the 3.8 conversion owners that cant get there engines to stay cool. plus being a 4wd i would prefer a engine driven fan. thats just one less thing that can die on you out bush. I always said that a thermo in front would work but it might make it run a bit hotter when its at higher speeds. But like i said it wont fit theres already a condenser and ac fan there.

kramersteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/
The other day i was at the sunshine coast 4wd centre and the owner there told me that all 3.8 conversion will overheat because of the gear ratio changes from a commodore to a hilux/4runner/surf which is BS. There is just so many people with this problem in there 4wd. I know some guys cut the front up to get a commodore rad in and i have even heard of one guy laying 20m of copper pipe to help the overheating lol. I just think for around 150 this is a good 100% fix.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Besides the point no 4runner/surf would have enough room for a thermo in front anyway. so really all this is pointless to the surf and 4runner owners because the only thing that will work is a engine driven fan.

Wrong and wrong....

I have an injected 304 in my 4runner and im running 2 fans from a Corolla that are mounted at the front of my radiator that blow towards the engine and I have never ever had an issue, even in low range dune hopping...

It doesn't matter what side the fans are on as long as its providing cool air to the radiator.

Mine just mimic the force of air the radiator would be receiving if the car was at full pelt.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Well I did the conversion to a first gen 2 door 4runner, so now im assuming the A/C condenser in the 2nd gen 4runners are slightly bigger?

But, it all fits fairly well, the fans are only about 10 inches each and they sit right under the bonnet latch.

I also have a custom made radiator that has twice as many fins and rows as a standard Rad, it was about $600.

Actually, as I type this, I actually recall the day when I went to pick up the conversion kit form a guy in Sydney who had it set up previously in his 2nd gen Hilux (92 mod) and he had all his A/C stuff all the way at the back of the car near where the spare tyre goes so you're right, there mustn't be enough room :/ but keep in mind, it was a v8 he had and not a v6?

kramersteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/
There's no room in a 2nd gen thats for sure. I have removed all mine and really could of used a front mount fan now i think about it. But i am happy with the flex fan. it would be perfect if you want to keep your ac anyway. Theres not much room in the v6 conversion because it has to clear the throttle body from the firwall.

I was running no thermostat (just the housing for back preassure), when i first put the flex fan in the car couldnt even register on the temp guage thats how good it works. even after a hour driving the car couldnt get to running temp haha .I have since put one back in and it runs normal.

4runners are mad fun

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
I would be interested in more info on how you fitted that fan - I have a VS Ecotech engine / auto trans in a 93 Hilux - it has the VS radiator in it with the VS electric fan in it - I also have the a/c problem at the front of the vehicle. Mine doesn't get hot at the moment - but once I get the a/c working again it could be a problem - do you run yours on LPG at all ??

kramersteen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/
I would be interested in more info on how you fitted that fan - I have a VS Ecotech engine / auto trans in a 93 Hilux - it has the VS radiator in it with the VS electric fan in it - I also have the a/c problem at the front of the vehicle. Mine doesn't get hot at the moment - but once I get the a/c working again it could be a problem - do you run yours on LPG at all ??

sorry for the delay, It was easy all you need is the reverse rotation fan from flex a lite usa, then go down to your local machine shop and get them to make a adapter to run of the waterpump pulley. It kills maybe 5hp but its well worth it imo. No lpg here sorry, I can post up some more detailed pics if anyone wants???

And i bet you could run the ac no worries all day in 4wd with this setup.