Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4th Gear slip/ Rattle

SV6 P-Plater

Dont Speed In Surbubia
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hi guys,

I noticed today when driving the engine or tranny was starting to make a noise between 4th gear 2-3k onwards, it sounds sorta like noisy injectors but clearly not (just giving you a description on the noise) but rattly, last until changing to fifth.

I cant seem to replicate it in active select.
The engine was warm also, it happens under light acceleration, im scared to give it the boot, to test it if happens on full throttle.

55Ks on the clock last service was 48k
i've booked in for a service next week

Engine was warm, i haven't been wearing my lead boots in a while,and no i don't flog it on a cold start.

Its the 5speed slushbox

Diagnostic mode show trouble code:
(0000000000000000 100000000000000)

Thanks

Slipper

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ SV6 A5
hmmm.. sounds worrying, does the car feel like it is slipping? could be the torque converter?? mine would play up under light accel but could always replicate with A/S, mine started slipping several months ago and just deteriorated, end up costing me 3.5k for a near full recondition

SV6 P-Plater

Dont Speed In Surbubia
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
hmmm.. sounds worrying, does the car feel like it is slipping? could be the torque converter??

Not really just that tapping rattly noise anywhere between 3-4k, then changes into fifth. No idea, to be honest but I'd rather that then a rebuild though.
sorry about your tranny :(

Slipper

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ SV6 A5
speaking from experience, if in doubt take it to a professional

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
timing chains tend to rattle a fair bit? moreso at low revs though :(

otherwise see if an oil change helps, if it doesn't you've isolated the fault as being in the gearbox.
From that point, take it to a pro, because auto gearboxes are a complicated item, they should be able to help

SV6 P-Plater

Dont Speed In Surbubia
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
timing chains tend to rattle a fair bit? moreso at low revs though :(

Yeahh which leads more to think its the gearbox as it only happens in fourth, but its strange cause it doesn't happen in active select. I pray its something minor!