Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 litre has lost a lot of power very quickly

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
having a problem with my VR. since the weekend. its been very sluggish. probably running slower than a v6 would. its going through a lot more fuel, making popping sounds from the exhaust. before this, i adjusted the distributor to set it to 10 degrees, i had cleaned the engine bay with degreaser, and sprayed underneath the car with the engine wash at the local car wash. it seemed to run fine that day. the next day i started the car and it put itself into limp home mode, but i had to drive it for about 5km that way. any idea what would be wrong? im thinking its a spark issue

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
having a problem with my VR. since the weekend. its been very sluggish. probably running slower than a v6 would. its going through a lot more fuel, making popping sounds from the exhaust. before this, i adjusted the distributor to set it to 10 degrees, i had cleaned the engine bay with degreaser, and sprayed underneath the car with the engine wash at the local car wash. it seemed to run fine that day. the next day i started the car and it put itself into limp home mode, but i had to drive it for about 5km that way. any idea what would be wrong? im thinking its a spark issue

maybe you shorted an o2 sensor and its running rich as ****?

any error codes?

aZk.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
ill try an error code check tomorrow, havent had time as of yet. it hasnt shown an engine lights though. its like it can never get above 50% throttle. if i put my foot down any time after 50% throttle, theres not much difference in acceleration, and taking off from the lights, its very slow. doesnt even attempt to break traction

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
ill try an error code check tomorrow, havent had time as of yet. it hasnt shown an engine lights though. its like it can never get above 50% throttle. if i put my foot down any time after 50% throttle, theres not much difference in acceleration, and taking off from the lights, its very slow. doesnt even attempt to break traction

sounds likes its running really rich, hence the popping from the zorst.

it may be spark related though... Is the idle really lumpy? Possible theres a fouled lead.

aZk.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
it seems to idle fine. i got a set of leads here ill throw on soon. ill have to get the timing light out and make sure it hasnt been knocked into like 20 degrees advance or something.

it drives fine, just slow, and makes the popping sound when backing off

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
it seems to idle fine. i got a set of leads here ill throw on soon. ill have to get the timing light out and make sure it hasnt been knocked into like 20 degrees advance or something.

it drives fine, just slow, and makes the popping sound when backing off

yeah, ifthe timing was out by 20 deg, it wouldnt run :p but you'd notice the idle.

Im gonna say 02 sensor(s) are buggered... if its rich as hell, it will pop alot on rev-down and it'll feel sluggish.

Another tip is to pull the plugs out and check the ignitor for gunk etc. They will be black as if its fuel related.

aZk.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah was gonna pull the plugs and check. is there anyway i can check the o2 sensor with a multimeter or something, or just undo it and see if its black?

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
just out of interest, what was the timing on b4 u changed it to 10?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I will reserve my comments till after you put new plugs and cap/rotor/leads/fuel filter because untill you do that you really can't start on it. But the O2 sensor has nothing to do with anything as far as no power goes so forget that idea. I'f it's gone into limp mode you must have a stuffed memcal/ecu connection somehow

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
just out of interest, what was the timing on b4 u changed it to 10?

i think it was around 14 degrees.

I will reserve my comments till after you put new plugs and cap/rotor/leads/fuel filter because untill you do that you really can't start on it. But the O2 sensor has nothing to do with anything as far as no power goes so forget that idea. I'f it's gone into limp mode you must have a stuffed memcal/ecu connection somehow

memcal has been fine for the past 3 months and havent touched it since. its not in limp mode anymore. after the car warmed up a bit, and any left over degreaser was burnt off, it went back into normal mode, but with less power. ill rule out the memcal as being the problem.