Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L EFI wiring into VK

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Just need a bit of help with the following wires, anyone know what they connect to? It's a VN 5.0L loom.

Green wire.
DSCF6583640x480.jpg

Is this for the oxygen sensor?
DSCF6581640x480.jpg

Wat's the go with these 2 wires cut and joined?
DSCF6577640x480.jpg

One on the right is for the oil pump sender (I assume), what about the one on the left?
DSCF6582640x480.jpg

Is this for the trans? If so, can I just leave it disconnected? I'm running a trimatic.
DSCF6578640x480.jpg

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
looks like a bit of a hack job on the harness!

1. not 100% sure, I think it's the A/C compressor wire.
2. is it a brown wire ? if so, just a tacho lead (used to hook up a test tacho)
3. is that a pink & a white wire ? if so they are usually ignition/coil leads
4. I can't see the plug on the right very clearly, but yeah appears to be the oil sender connector. Lead on the left looks like an 02 sensor lead
5. MAP sensor

Last edited:

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
Darren_L is on the money,but not to sure what the 2 cut wires are, because they are on the cabin side of the loom, get a wirring diagram and trace them back.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Thx for the help guys.

Few more queries. Do these labels all look ok?

CONNECTOR_03-1.jpg

4th gear input and converter lockup - Do I just leave connected to nothing?
Trip computer and speedo - Just leave not connected? Or does it need the speedo? If so how could I get that to work?
Neutral safety switch - Do I just hook that up to the VK switch and does it get earthed out of 12v? I guess if the VK uses the same sort of setup I only have to hook up the one wire and the wire on the opposite side of the neutral switch should be sweet.

CONNECTOR_01.jpg

Constant power - I guess this goes directly to the battery, should it be fused? If so wat size fuse?
Fuel pump relay control - Does this go to a relay for the fuel pump? If so which pin?
Oil pressure sender- Not sure about this as there's a wire already goin to the oil pump, and if this was for the dash I guess it would be at the other end of the loom??
Oil pressure sender output for fuel pump - Does this go to the fuel pump relay? I guess this would mean the "oil pressure sender" wire (above^^) could need to be connected to a 12v source?
Injector power feed from relay - Is this connected to the output of the EFI relay?

CONNECTOR_02.jpg

All aircon wires won't be required so I guess they don't have to go to anything.
Brown at DFI module - Got no idea on this.
Temp sender - Is this 12v for the temp sender? So just needs to be connected to a 12v source?
Oil sender for light - Not sure on this.
Tacho feed - Not sure on this.

I made these diagrams about 2 years ago when I was looking at going EFI. Took photo's of me loom and tried labelling them going by a post by delcowizzid in a project thread. But yeah never ended up doing it so still workin all this out lol.

Any help would be great! I realise a few I can get from a wiring diagram so will have a suss now.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Wish the motor in the car was functioning...rekon I've got the 1st 2 pics above sussed out and can start wiring, but can't test it lol.

About the speed sensor wiring, apparently ya don't HAVE to have the speed sensor connected, it just runs a bit better with it. Like when ya stop and idle it can cause it to stall sometimes, **** like that....but that won't matter (unless it happens all the time) so will leave that disconnected too. Apparently some people don't use it so we should be good.

Still not sure about the 3rd pic (grey plug). The "fan relay control" and "ac relay control" won't matter as we're not running aircon, and we'll be using a clutch fan....but yeah the others on that plug I'm not sure about. Anyone know?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
hmmm as for the white/clear plug... the dude i bought my harness off of said that plug is only used if you are runnin the t700 and to leave it disconnected....im not too sure on his theory tho! my vh is getn wired with the same loom at the mo by an auto sparky... im running a t350 so when i c him 2moro ill know for sure what he has and hasnt hooked up

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
some of that sh_t just does my head in! when it comes to wiring on cars i leave it to the pros...not worth the potential disaster it could cause...haha! i threw a msd 6al into the equation to make things more complicated too! better him than me!

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Yeah I'm the same when it comes to wiring, it does my head in, but I do enjoy working it out and saving a few bucks. When it pisses me off and I'm about to smash sumfin I just have a break and do something else....and I normally think about the electrical issue and normally think of sumfin to try and hey alot of the times I end up sorting it out, a break is all that's needed lol.

Altho I spent around $500 a few months ago on my Triton just getting the bloody thing charging...and the sparky found out the glow plugs were on all the time causing them to drain everything which is why I thought the alternator was rooted. That was the first time any of my cars have ever been to a sparky haha.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Hey does anyone know where the loom goes which connects to the grey plug? I'm pretty sure the green and blue wires are the colour for the dash lights for the oil pressure and water temp, so maybe that's wat they're for?? And the tacho feed I guess is for the tacho in the dash. The DFI module wire I guess I don't need connected as it doesn't have a DFI module.

If all this is correct I rekon I know enuf to get it all working! :thumbsup:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
About the speed sensor wiring, apparently ya don't HAVE to have the speed sensor connected, it just runs a bit better with it. Like when ya stop and idle it can cause it to stall sometimes, **** like that....but that won't matter (unless it happens all the time) so will leave that disconnected too. Apparently some people don't use it so we should be good.

yeah it will run without the speed sensor, but you won't get torque convertor lock-up without it, the ECM won't enter 'lean on cruise mode', and after a few months of the engine stalling and/surging when you pull up... (believe me it eventually gives you the shits) you'll probably want to fit one. Easier now than later.