Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5l to ls1 conversion I'm my vs s3

Mitchc123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 5l 5sp
Hi guys

Just wondering the best way to go about converting my standard 5l to a mildly worked 5.7l? Engine mounts, gearbox fitment etc...?

Cheers Mitch

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Farrrrrk.. its a massive job and big bucks, you need to relocate the starter and all sorts or things.

There is bugger all room for the heads and pipes ect. Trust me its a stuff around and unless your extremely attached to the car or you picked up a LS1 and box for next to nothing it wont at all be cost affective.

Done correctly, there is nearly 10k in conversion parts...

Put some turbo's on your current v8, give it a tune and have some fun with that.. Much cheaper and way more power then a mildly worked LS1....

And I know I might need to don the old flame suit for this next comment, but its actually cheaper and easier to put a 2JZ in and it will achieve a greater amount of power for much much less then the above 2 engines. The 2jz can get close to 1000hp with an un opened engine and with just bolt on parts and a tune, and it can actually handle 600hp on the stock ECU.

Video on youtube (2jz VN) is pretty cool to watch 2jz vn commodore - YouTube

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Would be cheaper still to build a RB30DET.

How cost effective would it be to stroke the 5L to 5.7L?

EDIT: just remembered, the RB30DET would be illegal wouldn't it? Engine must be same age or newer than the car right?

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
Not sure if the engine has to be newer I think it just has to produce an equal or less amount of emissions

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Its gotta be the same year or newer. Cant go older.

To the OP. A few guys on here have done the conversion. Check out there rides on it. I think its Haydz and someone else.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
You can put any engine in the vs as long as it came out in it. For example, you can put a VN V8 in a VS all day long....As they are the same engine...

Mitchc123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 5l 5sp
cheers For the info, I had a look at the vn with the 2jz and I'm a big fan, but what about engine mounts gearbox mount harnesses etc?

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
Would prob be cheaper to buy a vy ss for the amount of the conversion but would be a good conversion to do. Love the 2jz vn that's awesome