Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5ltr efi into vk

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
You can run the standard K frame with the pacemaker headers, just get good at changing rack seals :)

When I rebuild my front end I am fitting a VN K frame, I just need to organise a rack &steering coupler and finish another project and the front end if getting a rebuild
Scott

why? is it just because the line that runs alongside across the rack is too close to the pipes with paceys?
can that line be re-routed?
just curious, also how much modification does a VN hose need to go onto a VK rack?is the VS series one better or the same?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Its not the lines, its the top seal where the intermediate shaft goes into the rack, the seal is hardened by the excess heat and begins to leak.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
I had competition pacemakers on oldschool heads, that combo copped a fair bit of punishment. rack never leaked a drop in 5 years. Pretty sure those pipes passed pretty close to the power steering too.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I had competition pacemakers on oldschool heads, that combo copped a fair bit of punishment. rack never leaked a drop in 5 years. Pretty sure those pipes passed pretty close to the power steering too.

No worries then dont do what we suggest, my VK has had 2 racks,2 sets of seals and still spews fluid out the top seal always is hard and brittle when it comes out, it is how the pace makers wrap around the rack head that causes the problem, steering improves with the newer rack design anyway, the different placement of the rack improves ankerman angles also which is another plus

Scott

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
No worries then dont do what we suggest, my VK has had 2 racks,2 sets of seals and still spews fluid out the top seal always is hard and brittle when it comes out, it is how the pace makers wrap around the rack head that causes the problem, steering improves with the newer rack design anyway, the different placement of the rack improves ankerman angles also which is another plus

Scott

cool, not disputing what you've said,
when i run into problems I'll change it over, dont have the time or money atm...
I have a flaring tool and have done a very good job of fuel lines before, can i cut the flare off the VK high pressure power steering line and use the VK nut on a VS line to go into the existing rack? I know I'll need to get another hose or change the nut back to VS when I eventually upgrade.
thanks for the help. this whole thing has been a bit of a learning curve.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
cool, not disputing what you've said,
when i run into problems I'll change it over, dont have the time or money atm...
I have a flaring tool and have done a very good job of fuel lines before, can i cut the flare off the VK high pressure power steering line and use the VK nut on a VS line to go into the existing rack? I know I'll need to get another hose or change the nut back to VS when I eventually upgrade.
thanks for the help. this whole thing has been a bit of a learning curve.

Cut and shut the metal hose with a sleeved join, silver solder it.
See pics as the flare on the end is different

Attachments

• smIMGP1402.JPG
    smIMGP1402.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 430

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
have found a less than obvious answer (to me anyway) a power steering hose out of a VH 6cyl.... the hose can be rotated from the steel line by undoing the join and re-orienting the direction of the line. OR to use the hose half from a VK 5L onto the steel line from the VH 6cyl, will fit into a VN power steering pump (on the drivers side) and a VK rack.

taxii88

Reaction score
Members Ride
black ova silver 5lt vn calais (defed) vk calais
if the original k frame can b used, will the engine mounts from the 202 match up to the 5lt, or will they have to b changed???

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
You need to use the engine mounts for the engine in the original engin e mounts, eg VN engine VN mounts, you can use others but best to keep it simple.

The 202 mounts are only good to fill space up in your bin :)

Scott