Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5th Gear problem

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Hey guys,
With my auto vz sv6, when in 5th gear (much worse in active select for some reason), ive got like no power. If i put my foot down it would rev to around 2k rpm and then the rpm needle would almost bounce about 500 rpm up and down untill i get some power after a while, it slightly happends in forth aswell but not as bad, when not using a/s i can usually put my foot down in 5th and not have any problems, any ideas?
Cheers.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
i have this same problem too - in active select in 5th the revs bounce up and down (almost like the converter is locking and unlocking the common problem in the old 4L60e's) and in drive, if im cruising in fifth and accelerate a little bit more (like to go up a hill) it does the same thing - pushing it further down will eventually kick down to fourth but until then theres nothing (and the tacho needle bouncing up and down like crazy)

I also noitced in ANY gear in A/S if you are cruising and then floor it the revs bounce up once, back down (surges) then 'locks on' and continues to accelerate.... weird....

CKaras

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 Auto
Yeah same problem with A/S. The paddle shift is terrible thank god it was scrapped after the VZ lol

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
never had that issue in my old one, and i'd prefer paddles on the wheel compared to a tip to gear selecter

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
yes the paddles are a bit ordinary (lag much) but it does it in drive too when putting foot down a bit further when in 5th at light throttle with the torque converter locked up (the converter slipping or struggling to unlock maybe???) so its not just a characteristic of the dodgy A/S mode