Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

#6 Coil pack leakage/water seepage problem!

LexVZute

Real men drive utes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 190 Alloytech
Hey guys,

It's been a while since my last problema where Ricey was a great help.

However, the same issue is rearing it's head again... the #6 coil pack is totally degraded and the spark plug burnt out.

There is only one problem I can see, that is water seepage causing corrosion and thus incorrect plug wear and failure of the coil pack, resulting in misfire and loss of power.

I have attached pictures for you to look at for any kind of advice (unfortunately the coil pack pics didn't come out).

I have tried the old bucket of water technique, to no avail. All engine covers are always in place and I cannot find any other leaks. The coolant system does not leak, including the heater valve tap. which was replaced a while ago re: leakage, along with all hoses. There is only rusty residue, with no tell tale white marks or red residue that usually comes with coolant burn off or leakage... I am at my wits end, what is causing this!

I understand the plug is in a tube, thus no coolant should be able to leak in? So.. water, but from where?! It is worse in cold weather... so maybe condensation somehow???

Thought appreciated as it is becoming costly replacing coil packs and a plug every year!

Attachments

• P7280269.JPG
    P7280269.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 619
  • P7280267.JPG
    P7280267.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 625

LexVZute

Real men drive utes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 190 Alloytech
Note, the corrosion on the top of the plug, compared to the adjacent plug which I removed for comparison. Also the rusty water line, and the metal residue in the thread! The coil pack was the same re: corrosion, all blue and degraded....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
How long since you changed the plug and coil pack?

LexVZute

Real men drive utes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 190 Alloytech
Hey Ricey, sorry for the late reply, got called away for work and had no internet... plus mine is playing up!!!!

I changed the plugs last scheduled service, am currently at 240,000 on the clock, original engine.... The coil pack was last changed about 25,000 km ago, for the third time.

LexVZute

Real men drive utes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 190 Alloytech
So I have been annoying myself into trying more things, I tried driving through water (car's been through 3 floods!) no avail.... Tried buckets of water, pressure hoses, all no result. Lol, I love cars!

The only thing I don't get is that, to my understanding from pulling the engine apart and diagrams, the spark plug tube is separate from any water jackets and could only have water seepage from above?

The last thing I can think of is that it is worse in cold weather... Perhaps condensation somehow? But if so, how come only on the #6 cylinder?

Sigh!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Try flooding the windscreen, plenum and bonnet with water with the bonnet closed. See if it runs onto the intake manifold.

Are you testing with the engine hot or cold? Maybe the water only seeps in when cold as when the engine gets hot the coil pack seals expand and dont leak.

Im thinking it might happen when the car sit outside on a rainy day and the water seeps through onto the manifold and sits there and slowly seeps through the coilpack seal.

Given the small amount of water in the time between plugs id say its a very small leak.

LexVZute

Real men drive utes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 190 Alloytech
That's a great idea Ricey, thanks.

I do try the tests cold, but haven't stayed to let it sit.

I might even put a piece of paper over the engine bay and see if it gets wet.

I'll keep you posted.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon

Looks more like good old water to me, coolant would have left the dye behind and if there was a leak in the head, it would only be oil or coolant. I reckon it is either just a few drips getting in cleaning the engine, and not getting out again. Looks like common rust to me??

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Have you tried changing coil over to see if problem now starts in the new location ?