Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

83 VH 202, Yellow. Hopefully Future project.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i dont think i can help you on taking it out. im pretty sure VH's and VK's are different but:

Vk is a case of taking the center console out. so pull the handbrake as hard as you can, pop off the trans selector cover, lift the carpet from the console and undo the screws in there. lift and twist the console off. then there are two screws in the base of the stereo surround and one tucked under the ash tray

thats as far as memory takes me. from here you are on your own :p

Jedwards

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commie
cheers, done the console before, but the stereo surround and ashtray are new to me, probably would be easy if i took the time one weekend and actually looked at it carefully and assesed the situation, but that requires time.
Ive got a decent list to get done on saturday now.. pretty much a full 5am to like 7pm day planned.. ehhh...
Thanks again ari, i appreciate the help buddy!

Jedwards

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commie
Been doing some research in free time and found a few good condition 253 motors for less than 500 bucks!
Im thinking of getting one and swapping it round, while its out i was also thinking of manualing it aswell..
Still not sure what to do with the trans though, auto or manual.. still deciding..
But its still here, and still getting stuff done to it, just extremely slowly..

Jedwards

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commie
put it up forsale along with my wrecked commodore and had a look at a fair bad condition ke70 rolla.. apparently according to the guys i was with, it would be better to take the money i was going to use for purchasing that and then manual my commodore, and also found out that my wrecked commodores motor is not standard and featured head and cam work..
Im now looking around for manual conversion stuff. Let me know if there is any place in adelaide you know that could help me out with converting my commie.
Thanks guys.
Ohh and the front apron is coming along very slowly, nearly ready to put on, then the headlight upgrades will go on then aswell.

Jedwards

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commie
Okay.
I sold the old car and bought a R31. When that gets defected i think ill get a vl as a daily and just keep that for a stock/cruiser.
This commodore has so far been the best car I have bought.
i took it 4x4ing on local 4x4 tracks, it didnt get stuck! I thrashed it heaps and it still kept going.
I bought it for $600 and after spending around 1k getting it all nice again, with brakes and tyres, sold it for $1450.
I sold it with a spare front apron thingo that just needed paint.

Then, one day after work, I found her again!
she was parked up the side of a side street in the city.
She looked amazing. And i really do miss the VH, it was the best car I had.
Even though it didnt do skids anymore, it was just easy to trash and a great city car.

But Im also glad I sold it as it needed work, the stem seals had always been gone, the diff and trans both needed work and the carby was on the way out again.
Now on the hunt for a mint VL that i can keep clean and have as a daily/skid pig.

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
I can't be bothered reading the rest of this thread.. I gotta get back to work!

But here's my input;

Interior light MUST GO lol, that's something you'd find in a VR-VS parked Infront of centerlink.

I also looked into a 350 conversion, but it's just too much. I think it's actually cheaper to stroke a 308?

Steer away from the 253's.. You'll get a big disappointment. Trust me -__-

I read that you're removing the ash tray/center console? I have a magazine at home with a full write up on how to remove a VB-VH dash so I'll post it up when I get home ( around 5pm today )

Goodluck with your build bud.

Jedwards

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commie
hahahaha yeah was about too say..
yeah, it go to the point where in the end, it wasnt going to do what i wanted to do. So i sold it and bought something i can crash into a wall.

Got my skyline defected last night..
Coilovers, too low, bald tyres, e.t.c.

I have an old jackaroo that needs a cylinder head repaired, so im thinking of fixing that up and using that as a daily now and my skyline as a track car.
I dont mind 4x4ing so thats why im thinking of doing that.
If it all gets too hard, Ill just get a vl stocker and keep it clean and stock.
Same motor as my skyline so i know what its capable of.

Just wondering If i can turn this thread into a bit of an update thread of my skyline. I know its not a commodore, but they do have the same motors?!