Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

83* WB ute

ade123

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs
just about to purchase a WB ute, with a 202 which i will be trying to get back on the road.
it has a blue motor, and a 5 speed celica gearbox

now if anyone can give me some tips on getting as much power out of the 6 as possible.
and dont stay put an 8 in it!

anyone owned one and what are the best options i can do, over a period of time.
thanks

(btw might have posted in the wrong spot sorry if i did)

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I have owned an 83 WB. You need to ask yourself some questions in regards to getting as much power..

1. Do you plan on keeping this for a long time?
2. "Getting it back on the road" - How long has it been off the road?
3. You don't want an 8 in it, so your after power from a 6banger, or this particular 6 cyl?

1. If yes, fix the body first. There's going to be rust. Trust me.

Few mods you can do:

Give it a good servicing; all filters, fluids and plugs.
Upgrade the carby or look into getting it injected by finding a black 202 set.
Better flowing exhaust

Either way, please take pictures. I miss my WB

Last edited:

ade123

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs
yeah mate it is in ok nic, just been sitting in a shed for 2 years--- has some rust--- i on P's so cant do turbo, super or v8---- so trying to do what i can with a straight 6 as abit of fun.
will do pics.

yeah alot of guys say tune up a 350 holly.....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
A cam is a worthy investment, and if it still has the fiber cam gear you'd replace that with an alloy gear - so you'd be killing two birds with one stone. For a stocker the crow 35603 is decent, but since you have a manual I'd probably go with the 35665. I've had the 35603 in a 186 and it was decent (with a trimatic), but I also had a 35604 in my 202 with an aussie 3 speed and I was quite impressed; much quicker than the 186. Both had the VK EFI head and intake manifold.

As for the carb, a 350 holley will never pass emissions in a WB and won't be good on fuel. A 34ADM weber off an old falcon is the way to go, and a fair improvement over the varajet - and even though it's technically not legal to do, at least you'll be able to connect all the emissions gear up. Extractors are also nice, and they're really cheap for the holden 6's.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A cam is a worthy investment, and if it still has the fiber cam gear you'd replace that with an alloy gear - so you'd be killing two birds with one stone. For a stocker the crow 35603 is decent, but since you have a manual I'd probably go with the 35665. I've had the 35603 in a 186 and it was decent (with a trimatic), but I also had a 35604 in my 202 with an aussie 3 speed and I was quite impressed; much quicker than the 186. Both had the VK EFI head and intake manifold.

As for the carb, a 350 holley will never pass emissions in a WB and won't be good on fuel. A 34ADM weber off an old falcon is the way to go, and a fair improvement over the varajet - and even though it's technically not legal to do, at least you'll be able to connect all the emissions gear up. Extractors are also nice, and they're really cheap for the holden 6's.

A 350 holley not economical on a 202???? Adelaide to Bundaberg Queensland 12 months ago $300 in fuel....That was using 95 or 98 octane rated fuel too, depending on what was available where I stopped... I was getting any where from 350 to 400 Kays from 3/4 of a 60 L tank (pretty sure that's the capacity of a VC commodore tank)

IMA, I have a modified 202....Not sure on the cam specs, as I bought the motor 2nd hand...All I can gather from the motor is, it is 60 over, balanced and ex-speedway motor...Gearbox I'm running is a Supra 5 speed and 3.08 diff gears.

Jets in my holley are 63's and power valve 6.5 and I am running a long runner cain manifold......I do agree, emissions test they won't pass....

I would recommend a cam and alloy cam gear change....Extractors for sure....This helps wake them up nicely...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They just don't atomise fuel the same way that the Weber and varajet do. I'm not saying they're uneconomical full stop, just when compared to other viable options.

Power wise, as with any carby if they're set up properly they're great. The holleys are easier to tune too which is an upside.