Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9 speed Transmission Flaring

Panzer23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Liftback 3.6
I've had my RS 3.6 auto for approx. 2 years now, it has 11k on the odometer, I purchased it new and have never abused it, now and again on a light throttle at low speed it has been flaring between the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, has any one else had this issue?

When the flaring occurs the revs quickly rise to around 2,000 rpm with little forward movement.

SolairXI

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS 3.6
This has just started on my 112,000 km RS, along with a minor thunk when shifting from park into drive.

Will be mentioning it when I get it serviced in a couple of weeks

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
On particularly cool mornings, I have noticed a bit harsher of a shift in those gears. I have had that "characteristic" from day one. My service manager even asked me if my vehicle had that symptom... I didn't even provoke the question, it was just out of the blue. It may be a common complaint.

With mine, it's nothing significant enough to warrant concern though. It's still smoother than a lot of other automatic transmissions I have driven. I didn't notice any rev-spiking either.

Panzer23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Liftback 3.6
Driving off first thing in the morning, regardless of outside temperature, nearly always I notice a slight flaring in the 2-3 upshift, once this occurs it settles down and drives just fine, but as mentioned in my starting post, it lately has been intermittently flaring, whilst fully warm on a light throttle.

The flaring doesn't happen often, tonight on my journey home, in the same conditions and speeds the flaring did not occur. Apart from this it is a hard car to fault.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
I find the same in my RSV wagon. I also find it takes a few second to get into drive one D is selected.
I plan on getting all my concerns documented in writing to the dealer before warranty runs out just in case

Tamd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS 3.6
I've had my RS 3.6 auto for approx. 2 years now, it has 11k on the odometer, I purchased it new and have never abused it, now and again on a light throttle at low speed it has been flaring between the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, has any one else had this issue?

When the flaring occurs the revs quickly rise to around 2,000 rpm with little forward movement.
I have had the same issue for a while now.
Holden call it ‘surging’
On my last service (September 21) I reported the problem as same as you guys have described. I ask if they could do a diagnostic test on it. YES! It’ll cost you 170$.
needless to say the box was perfect. The surging still happens as you state. I have found the fault on transitioning on gear 3-5 at a guess. It reminded me of the band’s system used. Revs up but doesn’t go anywhere. I am of the opinion that Holden know of this fault.
But to report a potential warranty claim, I was charge for the privilege. The revs can be 1000-2000. That is a lot not to notice the change.

PalmyZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sportwagon
I get the same, always when the engine/trans is cold. I live on a steep road and use M1 to start off. When I get to flatter road, and put it into D, sometimes it seems to be in neutral and doesn't pick up the gear. only an occasionl thing, and normal, it appears. Just a quirk, I gather. 37,000 km

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I've had that now and then in mine too. I think its likely the 2-3 shift if I start the car and then take off gently so as to not upset the neighbours.

Was having a read about the transmission design and apparently it has a fluid/pressure accumulator to store fluid under pressure so that gears can still be selected/deselected when auto-stop is being used. From the pics it looks kind of like a canister with a spring and a plunger set in one end, and the oil in the other. So as the oil gets pumped in the spring compresses. I think...

So I got to thinking, maybe if the canister isn't completely full it can affect line pressure and so gear shifts. So I've been starting the car, letting it idle for maybe 20 seconds, then gently lifting the revs (in neutral) to about 2000 rpm and holding there for 5 seconds, then letting it drop back to idle, and then driving off. Seems it doesn't slur the occasional shift any more. Which it would only really do shortly after startup.

Interested to hear if this works for anyone else...

Panzer23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Liftback 3.6
Matt, I have been trying what you mentioned and have seen improvement, but one swallow doesn't make a summer, I will keep increasing the revs to 2k before driving off and see how it goes.

297-RAT

Reaction score
I have a 2018 ZB V6 and my transmission does the same thing!
Is there any fix that you guys know of now another year or two has passed?
Many thanks guys.