Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

95 plus ulp in a vt?

vtdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore and S/C VX Calais
Meh, I only ever run E10 in my VT. Have done for at least 40,000k's and no problems.

I still manage to get 450-550k's around town dependent on my driving style. A long freeway trip will see me getting about 700k's + to a tank.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
doesn't the knock sensor etc. detect its running on 95 and advance timing?

Yes it does. The ECU will take full advantage of the higher octane fuel, and will let the ignition timing advance further. I always use 98 octane fuels in my VSV6, it starts and runs better,and I get better fuel economy. Getting a tune done will let the ECU take even more advantage of higher octane fuels, and will allow the ECU to advance the ignition timing even further still, but even the standard tune will take advantage and run better on higher octane fuels. Some people say that they dont notice any difference from running higher octane fuels. Id say that their car is probably not running 100% to begin with if they cant notice any difference.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The ECU can't detect octane. It has a set of timing maps that it uses, and if it detects knock it will retard the timing, but it can't advance the timing to suit the fuel used. It will only run the maximum advance tuned by the factory. The only benefit the car will see running 95 or 98 will be the cleaning properties of the fuel. The car probably runs better because it has cleaned the injectors.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Dad allways uses e10 for local etc its fine but for long distance he uses premuim or normal un leded. They other week he filled it up with premium and we got lots of extral ks un like e10 so i think premiums the go and it doesent burn as quick.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
If anyone thinks a little change in quality of petrol is nothing. Well hear this. My car chugs on shells V ****. Starts ****, runs ****, and basically will jerk and miss out of the blue. Ran that stuff for 2 months. Went back to BP ultimate and second tank it was all back to normal. My car has always had a massive disliking to shells premium fuel and i don't know why that is.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
I tow a tinny to Darwin from Brisbane once a year.A few years ago I decided to try Premium unleaded on the way up and 91 on the way back.I've used 91 ever since that trip cos the economy was identical.

bones308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vts 1999 V6
hi
I've owned and still own a VT1999 S-pack from new (180'000km) and from day one i have run 95 octane
cars runs cleaner , less fuel???????? but have noticed at every service the throttle body has no carbon build up?