Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

99 VT Intermitant Starting problem.

Mikepc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx2 Calais 5.7
Try the engine control relay

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Sounds like you key head is going flat. U could be wrong. When it does it take the key back out of the ignition. Lock your doors then open them again try start the car. Worth a try worked for me until the battery went dead and could only start it every now and then. Would either start and stall or only try to crank. New head and working fine.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
I could be wrong*

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
crank angle sensor will do these type of things. 'pouring' water around the sensor wont diagnose it correctly but it may get u you of trouble. to change the sensor u have to pull off the harmonic balancer and its a bit of a pain to do so its not a simple 2 minute job.

GCcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Series II Supercharged V6
Hey mate I'm having the EXACT same problem at the moment, sometimes will start fine for a few weeks then out of no where will decide not to start (usually when I'm on my way somewhere important) and always starts for my mechanic so he can't diagnose it.
Got the usual responses from the mechanic could be CAS, Coil pack or fuel pump
Most times I hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the ignition on but when it doesnt start no noise from fuel pump? replaced fuel pump, the relay's and fuses as well but still not fixed.
If you find out what it is let us know and if i find out any more info i'll post it up here!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Pouring cold water over the CAS will only work in cases where the fault is being caused by heat. These CAS's can also stuff up from other problems not related to heat, so the cold water wont help in a lot of cases. The only way to be sure about the sensor is to take into account the km the car has done, the last time the CAS was renewed etc, and go from there. If the engine has done over 100,000 km, then its worth replacing the CAS as a precautionary measure, its the same with most other engine sensors like the oxygen sensors etc too. Also Ive seen some cheaper aftermarket parts fail fairly early on in their life, so its best if you can, to stick with genuine holden parts when it comes to engine sensors or ignition coils etc, even though they cost more, they will in most cases last a lot longer than the cheaper parts, so they can actually work out to be cheaper in the long run.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
The best way would be to test the CAS sensor on a oscilloscope. See what pattern its giving out. only then you will know what the CAS is dong.
Also you said your not getting spark when the problem is happening.
you will have to check the IGN side of the system.
Cas,DFI Module,EFI relay,

Commodore308

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT
Hey mate I'm having the EXACT same problem at the moment, sometimes will start fine for a few weeks then out of no where will decide not to start (usually when I'm on my way somewhere important) and always starts for my mechanic so he can't diagnose it.
Got the usual responses from the mechanic could be CAS, Coil pack or fuel pump
Most times I hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the ignition on but when it doesnt start no noise from fuel pump? replaced fuel pump, the relay's and fuses as well but still not fixed.
If you find out what it is let us know and if i find out any more info i'll post it up here!

Fixed!!! Had the CAS and the piece the coil packs sit on (can't remember the name) but it's up and running.

Should have got them done in the first place, but I was happy to replace everthing as all originall.

Thanks for the replys.